If you have ever dreamed of opening your own bookstore, you’re about to learn exactly how another reader is making that dream come true. Meet Alison Frenzel, a reader from Waco Texas who is in the process of bringing her bookish business idea into the real world!
In this episode we discuss our nostalgic reading habits, what books and chocolate cake have in common, and the extroverted reader's perspective. When it's time to talk bookshop business, Alison has some solid business advice for my favorite fictional bookstore owner, Kathleen Kelly.
Let's dive in.
Books mentioned in this episode:
Some links are affiliate links. More details here.
• The Betsy-Tacy series, by Maud Hart Lovelace
• The Distant Hours, by Kate Morton
• The Sea of Tranquility, by Katja Millay
• Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore, by Robin Sloan
• Commonwealth, by Ann Patchett
• The Woman in Cabin 10, by Ruth Ware
• The Madwoman Upstairs, by Catherine Lowell
• Possession, by A.S. Byatt
• First Impressions: A Novel of Old Books, Unexpected Love, and Jane Austen, by Charlie Lovett
• The Bookman’s Tale: A Novel of Obsession, by Charlie Lovett
• The Lost Book of the Grail, by Charlie Lovett
• Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Brontë
• Wuthering Heights, by by Charlotte & Emily Brontë
• The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, by Anne Brontë
• The Bronte Sisters collection
• Everything, Everything, by Nicola Yoon
• The Sun Is Also A Star, by Nicola Yoon
• Far Far Away, by Tom McNeal
• The Virgin in the Garden, by A.S. Byatt
• This Is Where You Belong: The Art & Science of Loving Where You Live, by Melody Warnick
WSIRN Episodes mentioned: