I recently started listening to audiobooks regularly for the first time in a few years. I got hooked with a free trial of Audible.com (you can get yours here) and haven’t looked back.
I finally realized that I could get a little more reading (“reading”?) in while I was running, or driving solo, or washing dishes, and the app on my phone is so much easier to use than cds ever were. (At least for me: my kids love to listen to audiobooks on cd during their daily quiet time.)
Since my interest in audiobooks has been rekindled, I asked you all on twitter and facebook to tell me your recent favorites. You shared a whopping 77 titles. Your top 40 appear below, but this is what the shorter list of your (and my) very favorites looks like:
- The Help
- The Harry Potter series. Jim Dale is the reader on this series, and many of you specifically said you’d listen to anything he reads.
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
- Dad is Fat
- The Graveyard Book
(I’ve listened to at least part of the audiobook for all of the above except Outlander and The Graveyard Book, and can confirm they are excellent picks.)
My personal faves:
- The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (and the whole Flavia DeLuce series)
- The Rosie Project
- The Professor and the Madman
- The Girl You Left Behind
- What Alice Forgot
Quite accidentally, I’ve chosen only books read in foreign accents (to my American ears, that is). My list includes 2 British, 2 Australian, and 1 French.
For the kids:
- The Ramona Quimby and Henry Huggins collections. Stockard Channing narrates the Ramona books; Neil Patrick Harris performs the Henry Huggins series and he is fabulous.
- The House at Pooh Corner (the version performed by Peter Dennis)
- The Wizard of Oz (the version performed by Anne Hathaway)
- The Mysterious Benedict Society
- How to Train Your Dragon
- Little House in the Big Woods (The whole series as read by Cherry Jones is fantastic.)
We especially love the Beverly Cleary and Little House books, which my kids have listened to over and over again.
Have a great audiobook recommendation? Share it with us in comments.