In Episode 187, we met Hannah Christmas, a reader with a long-term dream of running a children’s bookshop. Today, we meet Michelle Moreno, who I hope will inspire Hannah, and anyone else out there who wants to make their bookstore dreams a reality.
I got to talk to Michelle right after her very first pop-up shop (delightfully pictured above), while she was still on the high of her first time putting books directly into the hands of her community. We’re discussing the books she chose for her first foray into handselling, the connection she finds between reading and plant care (an obsession we share), and the moment she found her identity – on a bookshelf.
Let’s get to it.
You can browse Michelle Moreno’s book-and-plant shop on Instagram @la.maceta.store
Click here to read the full episode transcription (opens in a new tab).
Books mentioned in this episode:
• Author Octavia Butler (try Parable of the Talents)
♥ Caramelo, by Sandra Cisneros
• The House on Mango Street, by Sandra Cisneros
• Before We Visit the Goddess, by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
♥ I’m Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter, by Erika L. Sánchez
♥ Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants, by Robin Wall Kimmerer
• The Bridge Called My Back: Writings by Radical Women of Color, edited by Cherríe Moraga and Gloria Anzaldúa
▵ The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky
• There Will Be No Miracles Here, by Casey Gerald
• Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More, by Janet Mock
• In the Time of the Butterflies, by Julia Alvarez
• How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents, by Julia Alvarez
• Women With Big Eyes, by Angeles Mastretta
• Bird of Paradise: How I Became Latina, by Raquel Cepeda
• Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love, by Dani Shapiro
• The Poet X, by Elizabeth Acevedo
• With the Fire On High, by Elizabeth Acevedo
• WSIRN’s guest submission form
• WSIRN Ep 186: Finding the book that feels like it was written just for you, w/Lamar Giles
• Libro.fm (listen to my other show One Great Book for exclusive Libro.fm deals!)
What do YOU think Michelle should read next?