Today’s guest, Karuna Riazi, is here to talk about magic. The magic of carrying a book in your bag that can teleport you to another world, the magic of a beautiful translation, and the magical pairing of a hot cup of tea and a good story. We’re also chatting about pen names, how to keep a book journal if you’re a total perfectionist, and a host of other things, but at the root of it all is everyday magic, and the books I’m recommending Karuna pick up next are totally on-theme.
Let’s get to it!
Click here to read the full episode transcription (opens in a new tab).
Books mentioned in this episode:
• The Gauntlet, by Karuna Riazi
• The Battle, by Karuna Riazi
• Author G. Willow Wilson (try Ms. Marvel)
• Author N. K. Jemisin (try The Inheritance Trilogy)
• Shiver, by Maggie Stievater
• We Are Okay, by Nina LaCour
♥ Mr. Fox, by Helen Oyeyemi
• Gingerbread, bu Helen Oyeyemi
♥ Bel Canto, by Ann Patchett
• The Dutch House, by Ann Patchett
♥ Strange Weather in Tokyo, by Hiromi Kawakami
• After Dark, by Haruki Murakami
• Norwegian Wood, by Haruki Murakami
▵ Catch 22, by Joseph Heller
• To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
• Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
• Persuasion, by Jane Austen
• In the Woods, by Tana French
• The Trespasser, by Tana French
• Every Heart a Doorway, by Seanan McGuire
• The Science of Breakable Things, by Tae Keller
• Ayesha at Last, by Uzma Jalaluddin
• The Time in Between, by Maria Duenas
Thanks to today’s sponsors:
With Prep Dish, you shop once, prep once—Then enjoy delicious home cooked meals for the whole week in just 20-30 minutes a day. WSIRN listeners can get a free 2-week trial!
The Great Courses Plus is the streaming learning service that recruits some of the best college professors to teach in depth, relatable courses. Start your Free Trial and get 50% off your monthly plan now.
Ritual’s Essentials have the nutrients most of us don’t get enough of —all in their clean, absorbable forms. Start your ritual today and get 10% off during your first three months.
What do YOU think Karuna should read next?
Let us know in the comment section below!