Today’s guest Holli Petersen has created a very special family book club that might inspire you to pick up the phone and call a bookish loved one as soon as the episode is over. She also totally hated one of my favorite titles for the first 100 pages, before a turn of events melted her heart… and I’ve mentioned this title DOZENS of times on the show. I’m really curious to know if you have any guesses right now on what that title might be!
Before we get to today’s episode, you should know – there’s a special Summer Reading episode coming, where I’ll get to share a ton of exciting Summer releases that you’ll want to get on the holds list for RIGHT NOW… I’ve said it before, and I’ll keep saying it: what I love most about WSIRN is putting the right book in the hands of the right reader, so I want to recommend some of those Summer reads especially to YOU! Head over to our Patreon posts page to find out how to be part of our Summer Reading episode. (Don’t worry, this post is available to patrons and non-patrons alike.)
Click here to read the full episode transcription (opens in a new tab).
Books mentioned in this episode:
• Glitter & Glue: A Memoir, by Kelly Corrigan
• The Middle Place, by Kelly Corrigan
• My Name is Lucy Barton, by Elizabeth Strout
• Snow Falling on Cedars, by David Guterson
• The Shipping News, by Annie Proulx
• The Call the Midwife series, by Jennifer Worth
• The Rent Collector, by Camron Wright
• A Light in Dark Places, by Jennifer Graves
• Lily and the Octopus, by Steven Rowley
♥ My Family and Other Animals, by Gerald Durrell
♥ The Blue Castle, by L. M. Montgomery
♥ A Gentleman in Moscow, by Amor Towles
▵ Sharp Objects, by Gillian Flynn
▵ Son, by Lois Lowry
• The Giver, by Lois Lowry
• Gathering Blue, by Lois Lowry
• Daddy Long Legs, by Jean Webster
• Big Sky, by Kate Atkinson
• Transcription, by Kate Atkinson
• Burnt Toast Makes You Sing Good, by Kathleen Flinn
• WSIRN’s guest application page
Away’s approach to travel is simple, they create objects designed to be resilient, resourceful, and essential to the way you travel. For $20 off a suitcase, visit AwayTravel.com/READNEXT and use promo code READNEXT during checkout.
Legacybox takes all your old analog memories and preserves them so you can share the joy and nostalgia of all those old VHS tapes, film reels, photos, and negatives. for a limited time they’re offering WSIRN listeners an exclusive discount. Go to LegacyBox.com/READNEXT for 40% off your first order.
Kopari’s Coconut Deodorant is a cleaner alternative to traditional deodorants. It’s aluminum-free, vegan, and does not contain silicones, sulfates, parabens, GMOs, or baking soda. Instead, this deodorant keeps you fresh with plant-based actives like sage and coconut oil. Go to KopariBeauty.com/READNEXT to save five-dollars off your first deodorant order when you subscribe!
What do YOU think Holli should read next? Let us know in the comments!