Today’s guest is reading speed-demon Liberty Hardy, professional book nerd and host of Book Riot’s All the Books podcast. Together we’re going deep into a book labyrinth, discussing truly committed bookworm questions like “how do you avoid back strain while reading for hours on end?”, “how do I smuggle 1000 books out of my house safely?” and “what does Kate Atkinson’s grocery list look like?” We’re even playing a Tom Stoppard-inspired literary game that miiiight destroy your TBR.
I think you’ll find Liberty just as delightful as I did, so what are we waiting for? Let’s get to it!
Click here to read the full episode transcription (opens in a new tab).
Books mentioned in this episode:
• Hold Still: A Memoir with Photographs, by Sally Mann
• Edgar P. Jones (try The Known World)
• Donna Tartt (try The Secret History)
• Megan Abbott (try You Will Know Me)
• Big Sky, by Kate Atkinson
• Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston
• Passing, by Nella Larsen
• How to Catch a Mole: And Find Yourself in Nature, by Marc Hamer
• How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy, by Jenny Odell
• How Not to Die Alone, by Richard Roper
• How Could She, by Lauren Mechling
• The Heart’s Invisible Furies, by John Boyne
• The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket, by John Boyne
• Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, by Tom Stoppard
• The Last Romantics, by Tara Conklin
• The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls, by Anissa Gray
• An American Marriage, by Tayari Jones
• The Words Between Us, by Erin Bartels
• Shot in the Heart, by Mikal Gilmore
• The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma, by Bessel van der Kolk M.D.
• The Deepest Well: Healing the Long-Term Effects of Childhood Adversity, by Nadine Burke Harris M.D.
• To Night Owl, from Dogfish, by Holly Goldberg Sloan and Meg Wolitzer
• Listen, Slowly, by Thanhha Lai
• Inside Out and Back Again, by Thanhha Lai
• Going after Cacciato, by Tim O’Brien
• Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War, by Karl Marlantes
• Deep River, by Karl Marlantes
• The Huntress, by Kate Quinn
• Agent Zigzag: A True Story of Nazi Espionage, Love, and Betrayal, by Ben Macintyre
• Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History, by Ben Mezrich
• A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal, by Ben Macintyre
• The Giant’s House: A Romance, by Elizabeth McCracken
• The Dog Stars, by Peter Heller
• The Painter, by Peter Heller
• Celine, by Peter Heller
• The River, by Peter Heller
• Check, Please!, by Ngozi Ukazu
• The Memory Police, by Yoko Ogawa
Thanks to today’s sponsors:
With Prep Dish, you shop once, prep once—Then enjoy delicious home cooked meals for the whole week in just 20-30 minutes a day. WSIRN listeners can get a free 2-week trial!
ThirdLove knows there’s a perfect bra for everyone, so right now they are offering WSIRN listeners 15% off your first order!
You can’t hide from the sun, but Hers is here to help you deal with aging skin. WSIRN listeners can get their first month of anti-aging formula from Hers for $10 off right now while supplies last, (and subject to doctor approval).
What backlist do you think Liberty should add to her towering TBR? Tell us in the comments section!