Today we have a one of a kind episode for you: during my trip to Scotland’s national book town back in December, I sat down with Ruth Andersen, a brand-new bookseller in Wigtown.
We met Ruth when she came into The Open Book to say hello, and also to tell us that our Voltaire joke on the signboard was truly terrible. (She’s right, it was.) When I met Ruth I was so grateful I had decided to pack my recording equipment in my suitcase “just in case.”
I can’t wait for you to listen in and experience Ruth and her shop yourself—and you really do get to do both today. We recorded this episode in her shop, so you get to experience great book talk and great bookish atmosphere.
Check out Well Read Books of Wigtown on Facebook.
Books mentioned in this episode:
Some links are affiliate links. More details here.
If you'd like to support your local indie, check out Indiebound.com. And by all means, go grab one of these from your local library!
♥ The Silence of the Girls, by Pat Barker
♥ A Fine Balance, by Rohinton Mistry
• The Faerie Queene, by Edmund Spenser
♥ I Know This Much is True, by Wally Lamb
• She’s Come Undone, by Wally Lamb
• War Horse, by Michael Morpurgo
▵ Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë
• The Idiot, by Fyodor Dostoevsky
• Unnatural Death: A Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery, by Dorothy L. Sayers
• The Five Red Herrings: A Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery, by Dorothy L. Sayers
• A History of Scotland: Look Behind the Mist and Myth of Scottish History, Neil Oliver
• The Scottish Nation: A History, 1700-2000, by T.M. DeVine
• Home Fire, by Kamila Shamsie
• Winter Solstice, by Rosamunde Pilcher
• Jayber Crow, by Wendell Berry
• Hannah Coulter, by Wendell Berry
• What Are People For?, by Wendell Berry
• MacBeth, by Jo Nesbo
• Mystery in White: A Christmas Crime Story, by J. Farjeon
Thank you to today's sponsors:
OPENFIT will change the way you work-out. Right now during the Openfit 30-day challenge, WSIRN listeners get a special extended 30-day free trial membership to Openfit when you text "Read" to 303030 (thirty, thirty, thirty)
ThirdLove knows there’s a perfect bra for everyone, so right now they are offering WSIRN listeners 15% off your first order! Go toThirdLove.com/READNEXT now to find your perfect-fitting bra… and get 15% off your first purchase!
Better health doesn’t happen overnight. Start your year with Essential for Women—a small step that helps create a healthy foundation for 2019, and beyond. Visit Ritual.com/READNEXT to start your ritual today.
What do YOU think Ruth would enjoy reading next? Tell us in the comments section!