I hope you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Today we’re enjoying cranberry crumble for breakfast, dragging out our Christmas tree, and watching You’ve Got Mail. And I’ll be placing a few orders for Christmas and upcoming birthday gifts in between.
Should you need any ideas, here are our new holiday gift guides so far:
- The 2021 MMD gift guide for book lovers
- The 2021 MMD gift guide for bookish kids
- 20 favorite gifts to give and receive
- 13 beloved board books and picture books for the kids in your life
- 25 jigsaw puzzles so enticing you might not mind winter weather
- My kitchen must-haves
My favorite finds from around the web:
- Adele Cried During A Surprise Onstage Reunion With Her Childhood Teacher. A must-watch if you haven’t seen it yet.
- Great deal alert! Hulu has a killer Black Friday offer: Just 99¢/month for a year. That’s 85% off the Hulu (ad-supported) plan, regularly $6.99/month. Cancel anytime. We’re subscribing so we can watch The Only Murders in the Building—I’ve heard great things!
- This Woman Revitalizes Second-Hand Books By Painting Famous Scenes On Their Pages. Absolutely stunning! I wish I had this talent.
- I am a Trader Joe’s parking lot and I am here to destroy you. This (salty) classic from McSweeney’s made me laugh all over again. Funny ’cause it’s true.
- Craftsy’s killer Black Friday deal: Join today and get a whole year of access to over 1,500 Premium Classes for only 99¢ (normally $79.99). Crafts, gardening, baking, writing, and lots, lots more.
- The tree who set healthy boundaries. Brilliant alternate ending the The Giving Tree.
- We LOVE Thanksgiving leftovers, but also love enjoying something completely different, like Smitten Kitchen’s easy and fabulous baked ziti.
- Overloaded: is there simply too much culture? Thoughtful piece from WSIRN Episode 284 guest Anne Helen Petersen.
- I’m pleased to report the first Christmas present we bought this year is for Daisy: she’s getting an adorable new collar. (Don’t tell!)
- You’re never too old for this smile-making Anne of Green Gables gift set. Psst—sign up for Carrot Top Paper Shop’s Kindred Spirit club for 40% off your order today.
- The soul of San Francisco rides on in this pedal-powered library. This is so cool.
- The Park Bench Is an Endangered Species. “Like a good book or piece of music, a park bench allows for a sense of solitude and community at the same time, a simultaneity that’s crucial to life in a great city.”
- My books are included in Amazon’s current 3-for-2 promotion so get those gift copies (and get ready to start your New Year) now! (Also included: A Charlie Brown Christmas, the new Adele album, and a blue million books.)
- To Catch a Turtle Thief: Blowing the Lid Off an International Smuggling Operation. This story is wild.
Don’t miss these posts:
- 4 easy gifts for the men in your life. You’re welcome.
- Get cozy with 25 books about “home”. A fun list full of books with “house” or “home” in the title!
- November 30: Live chat with author Amy Jo Burns: Time for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club discussion of Shiner with author Amy Jo Burns! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
- December 16: Live chat with author Ingrid Fetell Lee: Time for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club discussion of Joyful: The Surprising Power of Ordinary Things to Create Extraordinary Happiness with author Ingrid Fetell Lee! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!