What are you up to this weekend? We’re planning our Thanksgiving menu, test-driving some good-looking recipes (Will’s idea, not mine!), and making the season’s first batches of Chex mix and spiced nuts. I hope you have something fun to look forward to these next few days.
Target has a Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal and all my books are included! Get My Reading Life, Don’t Overthink It, I’d Rather Be Reading, and Reading People. Amazon has a Get 3 for the price of 2 deal, which includes My Reading Life, Don’t Overthink It, and Reading People.
My favorite finds from around the web:
- Is Becky Chambers the Ultimate Hope for Science Fiction? “The more we talk about tea, the more Chambers and I realize we’re circling a fundamental truth about the genre: Tea—cross-cultural and civilizing; steeped in historical trade; revealing, in the leaves it leaves behind, of possible futures—might be the most science-fictional of all beverages.”
- ‘A Library of Misremembered Books’ Is a Witty, Illustrated Compendium of Mistaken Titles. Too funny.
- Sephora always puts out fabulous holiday sets, and this bestselling beauty must-haves collection is the best of the best. (I somehow lost my beautyblender which made adding this set to my cart a no-brainer.)
- Mark your calendars for November 19! I’m joining Main Street Books for a fun virtual event to make holiday gift recommendations. Join live for a chance to ask me for a custom book recommendation for someone you love! Tickets includes access to the live event and a copy of My Reading Life: A Book Journal.
- Ghosts at the Table. “On Thanksgiving I make sure to do whatever the hell I want. Are enough people doing this?”
- This pear cranberry and gingersnap crumble stole the show at our family Thanksgiving last year. (We’re not waiting till later this month—I’m making it again this weekend!)
- Let’s Ignore Each Other in the Same Room. (NYT gift article.) Kids aren’t the only ones who benefit from parallel play.
- These notecards are too adorable.
- Trader Joe wrote a memoir. “In the age of Jeff Bezos and an endless stream of news about worker exploitation and corporate imperialism, it’s nice to go behind the scenes of a beloved national chain without uncovering insidious forces at work.”
- Where Did All the Public Bathrooms Go? Insightful overview.
Don’t miss these posts:
- 15 absorbing nonfiction books to inspire your inner scientist. Whether you prefer nonfiction about space, technology, medicine, or the environment—there’s something here for your TBR.
- 100 stocking stuffers that will actually be appreciated, don’t feel like a waste of money, and won’t be broken/destroyed/forgotten by New Years.
- 20 books to cozy up with this winter. Cold, grey days are the perfect excuse to stay inside and read.
- November 19: Mistletoe Magic: Gifting the Perfect Book with Anne Bogel: Join Main Street Books for a special virtual event highlighting our booksellers’ 2021 holiday gift recommendations, with a special keynote appearance from Anne Bogel. Join us live for a chance to ask Anne for a custom book recommendation for someone you love! Ticket includes access to the live event and a copy of My Reading Life: A Book Journal.
- November 30: Live chat with author Amy Jo Burns: Time for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club discussion of Shiner with author Amy Jo Burns! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
- December 16: Live chat with author Ingrid Fetell Lee: Time for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club discussion of Joyful: The Surprising Power of Ordinary Things to Create Extraordinary Happiness with author Ingrid Fetell Lee! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!