What are you up to this weekend? I can’t believe I’m typing this, but this weekend I’m attending freshman parent orientation at my firstborn’s new school. (If you have any advice for me and all the parents of new freshmen, please share them in comments!)
But first I’m kicking things off with some book talk: at 4:00pm Eastern I’m popping on Zoom to discuss our fall line-up with our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club members. (We’d love to see you there!)
My favorite finds from around the web:
- Dolly Parton Teams with James Patterson to Write First Novel Run, Rose, Run — and Creates New Album. This week in “what can’t Dolly do?” news.
- The Taliban’s Return Is Catastrophic for Women. The news this past week has been heartbreaking.
- Tieks is giving $75 gift cards to teachers in appreciation of all they do through August 31. (I still love my Tieks.)
- The Devil Wears Prada and the Myth of the One and Only “Big Break”. “It was an attempt at crafting a 21st-century Mary Tyler Moore. If you say yes to everything and everyone—and you “lean in” with relentless enthusiasm and devotion for your job—you, too, can be rewarded with a corner office, a fancy title, and the admiration of your peers. Never mind that it will cost you your sanity.”
- Jason Reynolds credits Queen Latifah’s music for starting his path to best-selling author. This delighted me!
- MMD team member Chelsey shared these transparent sticky notes and now I’m imagining all the possibilities.
- A Global Guide For Parents: How Your Kids Can Have Fun Without Stressing You Out. Some good reframing here.
- Here are the authors headlining Bookmarks’ Festival when it returns to Winston-Salem in September. I can’t wait to join these folks—come see me at Bookmarks!
- 13 Ways to Donate to Haitian Earthquake Relief. Recent events have devastated the country: this piece suggests priorities for helping, and organizations that are carrying those out.
- Why Do American Grocery Stores Still Have an Ethnic Aisle? “The aisle seems to exist more for those looking to find ingredients new to them than for the communities whose cuisines are represented there. That aligns with the ethnic aisle’s original purpose: to serve returning World War II soldiers who had tasted foods from countries like Italy, Germany and Japan while abroad.” (I’m experimenting with the new “gift” feature to share this NYT article.)
- The Value of Doing a Little. “We think the choice is between doing something big or something small. But really, it’s between doing something small or nothing at all.” I feel this right now.
- The Only Five Salad Dressings You Need. Once you’ve mastered one or two of these, the salad possibilities become endless.
- Order your My Reading Life Journal Box! Deadline is August 31.
Don’t miss these posts:
- 10 favorite audiobook narrators (plus 30 excellent audiobooks they narrate). The comments are a treasure trove!
- 38 real and relatable literary confessions. The best kind of secrets.
On One Great Book:
Don’t miss today’s brand-new episode of One Great Book. Each week I pull one standout selection off my personal bookshelves and tell you all about it, in ten minutes or less. This is the last episode of the season and I hope you enjoy it!
On What Should I Read Next:
Want to start a book club? In this week’s episode, our guest shares the simple steps she took to bring readers together in her own neighborhood, plus a whole lot of library love.
- August 21, 3 pm ET: Northanger Abbey Watch Party: Watch along with us! The 2007 film staring Felicity Jones and Carey Mulligan can be found on streaming services or on many library streaming services like Hoopla and Kanopy. (This is an MMD Book Club event.)
- August 24, 1 pm ET: Live chat with author Elizabeth Brooks: Time for our MMD Book Club discussion of The Whispering House with author Elizabeth Brooks! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
- August 28, 3 pm ET: Backlist Book Club: Stay With Me: Whether you’re a long-time MMD Book Club member looking to revisit some favorites, or a new member wondering where to start, we’re taking a look back at some of the best of Book Club from the past few years.
- September 21: My Reading Life: A Book Journal release day: My book My Reading Life: A Book Journal is finally here! I can’t wait to get it in your hands. (Learn more about the preorder bonuses.)
- September 21, 7 pm ET: My Reading Life: A Book Journal release day party at Carmichael’s Bookstore: Come celebrate the release of My Reading Life at my local indie bookstore! I’ll be in conversation with Tara Anderson of Louisville Public Media. Masks are required. Learn more and register to attend here.
- September 24, 11:30 am ET: Eat & Greet event and journaling workshop. Join me at Bookmarks’s Festival of Books & Authors in Winston-Salem, NC! I’ll be in conversation with my friend and author Kendra Adachi. We’ll talk about books, journaling, and the reading life to celebrate the publication of my new book, My Reading Life: A Book Journal. Register here.
- September 25, time TBD: Panel at Bookmarks with Wiley Cash and Charlie Lovett.
- September 30, 7 pm ET: Live chat with author M. L. Rio: Time for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club discussion of If We Were Villains with author M. L. Rio! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!