What are your weekend plans? I’m starting the day by pulling the sheets off my poor tulips and peonies—spring has sprung around here, but it was well below freezing last night!
I hope your weekend has some loveliness in store. And to those who celebrate: happy Easter!
My favorite finds from around the web:
- Beverly Cleary Wrote About Real Life, and Her Readers Loved Her for It. She will be missed, but her works will live on—in our hearts and on our bookshelves.
- How women invented book clubs, revolutionizing reading and their own lives. “The book club, dismissed as a feminine, frivolous time to drink wine and gossip is also a radical activity: a rare place where women have long been able to engage with the transformative power of books.”
- 10 Quick Spring Dinners. So many great ideas!
- Editors Refused to Publish Richard Wright’s Most Important Novel—Until Now. I’m so glad we’ll get a chance to read it.
- Nadiya Hussain’s Warmhearted Advice For The Rest Of Lockdown. She is so lovely.
- On Chandler Bing’s Job. “Chandler is Friends’ theme song rendered in a minor key. And he is the exception who proves the show’s rule.”
- I’m so excited cold-brew coffee season is back! This is my favorite.
- 13 Books About Anti-Asian Racism To Understand It Better. Great resource.
- 35 Tiny Things To Do For Yourself Today. Totally doable!
- What Has the Pandemic Done to Our Boundaries? “Each relationship is a negotiation between its members, and over the past year, many froze. Once opportunity is reintroduced, so too is an increased potential for hurt feelings.”
- The Therapy-App Fantasy. “With a therapy app, more blatantly than in most health-care transactions, the patient is a customer, and the customer is always right. But this assumes patients know what they want and need and that getting it will make them feel better.”
Don’t miss these posts:
- 3 poetry anthologies to try for National Poetry Month. This is a great time to read poetry!
- 12 Feel-good fiction books you can read in an afternoon. If you’re leaning toward the lighter side of your reading tastes these days, this list is for you.
- 7 ways I’m minimizing decision fatigue in my daily life. These practices make a big difference.
- April 6, 7 pm ET: 12 Things Readers Should Know About Publishing: This is an MMD Book Club event. This year in publishing has been a doozy. The game has changed, but here is what you as a reader need to know. It’s no coincidence we’re doing this the month before the Summer Reading Guide comes out… (Classes are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
- April 20, 1 pm ET: Bird By Bird flight discussion: Time for our Book Club discussion of flight pick Bird By Bird by Anne Lamott! This is an MMD Book Club event. (Discussions are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
- April 28, 7 pm ET: Live chat with author Lily King: Author Lily King joins the MMD Book Club discussion of Writers & Lovers! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!