Happy Friday, friends. This morning I’m enjoying sweatshirt weather for the first time in MONTHS, and it feels great. Around here we’re spending the weekend shelving books, seeing friends, and cheering on kids at cross country meets.
I also need to decide what to read next. I’m debating whether to start this spring 2020 novel or to plunge forward with a stack of upcoming fall releases. If you have thoughts, let me know in comments?
I hope your weekend is just what you need, and I hope you enjoy these interesting reads and fun things to get you started.
My favorite finds from around the web:
- 10 strategies to read more books. Great tips!
- Authors Get Real About Going on a Book Tour…From Their Living Rooms. Very relatable. Our MMD solution was Stay At Home Book Tour.
- With Theaters Still Closed, 136-Year-Old ‘Playbill’ Does A Quick Online Pivot. What a great way to innovate!
- I wouldn’t have looked twice at this baked eggplant and orzo with mozzarella recipe if my daughter wasn’t currently eating vegetarian, but I’m so glad I didn’t miss out because it was DELICIOUS.
- 5 Ways To Think About Social Injustice Through Crime Fiction. Great piece from Alyssa Cole.
- Thanks to the skincare enthusiasts who recommended this fun and inexpensive face mask variety pack. (I got mine from Grove, a company I love.)
- Inside the Writer’s Studio Episode #67: Modern Mrs. Darcy/Charlie Lovett (Escaping Dreamland). Charlie Lovett was our guest author at the MMD Book Club Retreat and it was such a great conversation that he asked if he could share it on his podcast. Enjoy!
- 20 Basic Life Skills Your Teenager Should Have. A helpful list.
- Attention, Reading Challengers: Booker Prize 2020: Four debuts make shortlist as Hilary Mantel misses out. Related: this week’s guest on WSIRN episode 251 delves into her complicated feelings about literary awards.
- New favorite t-shirt: the slub texture makes it sturdier and more blouse-like, and it feels so good on. (Get 15% off your first order when you use the promo code READ at checkout.)
- Oliver Burkeman’s last column: the eight secrets to a (fairly) fulfilled life. Lots of wisdom here.
- Great to see Don’t Overthink It included on Libro.fm’s #Uplift: Positive Books list!
- Welcome to Your Bland New World. Brand vs. bland as the new trend.
Reading People turns three!
Tomorrow is the third anniversary of my first book Reading People: How Seeing the World through the Lens of Personality Changes Everything!
“This was a timely, eye opening dive into personality types. I saw myself, my family members, and my friends in these pages which made it an even more valuable read.” – @mrsteachersreading
Get your copy wherever books are sold, or order signed copies from my local indie Carmichael’s Bookstore. (Specify “signed copy” in order comments.)
Don’t miss these posts:
- 20 books everyone will be talking about this fall. A fun look back.
- 12 favorite episodes of What Should I Read Next. This was hard to narrow down!
- 4 female authors worth binge reading. I love when you find a new author and immediately want to read everything they’ve written.
Have a great weekend!