This is the MMD team stepping in for Anne with an update. Anne’s father was critically ill for some time and we are sad to share that he died earlier this week. Book people are the best people, so your impulse might be to reach out to her, but please give Anne space to spend time with her family. We ask that you don’t email or message her.
Because we are often in need of distraction during times of loss, Anne asked that this post run as usual. We hope it will prove to be a good distraction for you as well, wherever this finds you.
Also, don’t forget the Fall Book Preview is happening for our member communities Tuesday September 1. We look forward to seeing you then.
My favorite finds from around the web:
- Dolly Parton Steers Her Empire Through the Pandemic — and Keeps It Growing. You know I love all things Dolly.
- ‘Bookmarks: Celebrating Black Voices’ aims to spark conversations on and off screen. Parents, this is worth checking out.
- Instead of Asking “How Are You,” I Ask “What’re You Eating?” Great conversation starter.
- Yaa Gyasi on the Mysteries of Faith and Reason. I’ve already read Transcendent Kingdom and it was well worth the wait.
- All Your COVID-19 Questions, Answered. Helpful resource.
- Caitlin Found a House in The Hills for $299K and This is What Happened. This story went in some truly unexpected directions.
- Vivian Stephens Helped Turn Romance Writing Into a Billion-Dollar Industry. Then She Got Pushed Out. She deserves to be recognized for her efforts.
- Readers have many opinions on how to cull your book collection — and also why you never should. It’s so interesting to see the different philosophies.
Don’t miss these posts:
- Restart your life with these 12 nonfiction titles. This is a great time of year to give yourself a fresh start or adopt a new habit or routine.
- My 6 favorite summer-to-fall transition pieces. I’m dreaming about crisp fall sweater weather and these pieces will carry me through this in-between season.
Have a great weekend!