Happy Friday, friends. What are you up to this weekend? We’re planning on spending some time with friends outdoors and then staying cool inside watching the newly released Hamilton movie.
I hope you have a lovely weekend, and that you enjoy these interesting reads and fun things that we gather (almost) every Friday here on the blog.
My favorite finds from around the web:
- HBO Wins ‘The Vanishing Half’ Auction In 7-Figure Deal; 17 Bidders Pursued Brit Bennett Bestseller. I adored this book. YES PLEASE to an adaptation.
- Always Red is a favorite shade; if you’ve been wanting to try the cream lip stain this set is a great way to do it.
- I never thought I’d feel at home in my neighborhood—until we got The Slide. This is a lovely piece about community and welcome and how to lead with who you really are.
- Do bike lanes actually make cyclists safer? We recently got new bike lanes near our house that Will is beginning to use, but they are far from ideal and probably fall in the dangerous category according to this research.
- I was happy to see that Target now carries a cute version of the belly baskets I love to plop houseplants in.
- ‘A Conflicted Cultural Force’: What It’s Like to Be Black in Publishing. I was especially struck by the bit about Borders and Waldenbooks moving books by Black authors and the impact of those stores closing.
- In the Covid-19 Economy, You Can Have a Kid or a Job. You Can’t Have Both. I found this particularly interesting because it’s written by one of my favorite food bloggers.
- 26 Great Shows on Netflix to Binge-Watch During Your Long, Hot, Locked-Down July. See any favorite shows on this list?
- How to Know When It’s Time to Quit a Book, According to Avid Readers. Life’s too short to read books that aren’t for you.
- 26 Books That Give Iconic Literary Characters A Different Story. Lots of Austen retellings on here.
Don’t miss these posts:
- My favorite cold drinks for hot summer days. So refreshing!
- A Rom-Com Syllabus. This is the kind of resolution we can all keep!
Have a great weekend!