Hello and happy Friday! Things are looking up around here: we started our morning with delivery from our favorite local bakery, and the forecast is 55 and sunny, my favorite.
Today Stay At Home Book Tour comes to an end, for now, today at noon Eastern time with our conversation with Jolenta Greenberg and Kristen Meinzner, What Should I Read Next alums and authors of How to Be Fine. You can find all the event replays here. If you enjoyed these events, I hope you’ll consider joining us in MMD Book Club where we’re learning to read better, together.
My favorite finds from around the web:
- I appeared on Jen Hatmaker’s podcast this week! We had a fun conversation talking about books, of course, and I also shared how to “change the channel” in our brains, among other tips.
- 20+ Books By Muslim Authors To Read In 2020. Great list!
- Melanie Shankle’s enthusiastic recommendation of retinols, serums, and creams at Stay at Home Book Tour had me digging through the samples in the back of my medicine cabinet. She’s a big fan of the Sunday Riley sets; her personal faves are included in the Multivitamins Set and Superstars Kit.
- Here’s How Those Hot Jigsaw Puzzles Are Made. This was so interesting and the exact kind of content I need in my life right now. For my fellow puzzle geeks, this list of beauties is for you.
- Why We Turn to Jane Austen in Dark Times. “Her power to connect with us in hard times arises not because her retired life shielded her from grief, pain, and fear—but because she knew very well what it was like to feel vulnerable, exposed, and anxious about the well-being of those she cared about.”
- Cream scones vs. butter scones. This substitution tip was a lifesaver this week, when the only single thing my kids wanted to do was bake scones and we had no cream.
- John Prine: American Legend. His death this week had me revisiting this wonderful story from Roger Ebert.
- 9 ways to make working from home more joyful. This is a good companion piece to my work from home tips.
- This swiss cheese plant with extra holes made me smile.
- Independent Bookstore Day Has Been Postponed. A date has since been tentatively announced: August 29.
- How to Stop Overthinking and Feel More Joy as a Mom. I wrote this for Working Mother magazine.
Don’t miss these posts:
- 7 ways I’m minimizing decision fatigue in my daily life. These practices make a big difference.
- What are your go-to weeknight dinners? There are so many great ideas in the comments!
Have a great weekend!