Happy Friday, readers! Around here, the forecast says we’ll have perfect weather for reading inside, hiding from the heat. (Thanks to all the heat, I’ve been thinking about this blog post ALL THE TIME.)
I just finished two lousy books in a row and my weekend goal is to break that streak. I hope you have a great weekend ahead of you!
My favorite finds from around the web:
- A black girl’s reading list: 10 books to inspire and challenge. So many great books included here!
- Five reasons English speakers struggle to learn foreign languages. “When it comes to language, politeness is always there but, in some languages, it is a little more in your face.” This may be about Britons but it applies to Americans just as much. (Thanks to the well-read Mel Joulwan for the link!)
- I pre-ordered Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove’s forthcoming release Revolution Of Values: Reclaiming Public Faith for the Common Good. His work has been incredibly meaningful to my family this year as we wrestle through the mess we find ourselves in as a culture, and what our small role in finding our way out might be. I’m also intrigued by his super-simple launch team.
- Americans Shouldn’t Have to Drive, but the Law Insists on It. “Just as telling as what activities the law regulates is whose interests it seeks to protect.”
- Allow This Man Who Lives Every Day as a Regency Dandy to Inspire Your Wildest Clothing Choices. This dapper gent is definitely inspiring! Fun fact: I got to meet him a few years ago when he was in town for the Jane Austen Festival.
- Open Shelf included What Should I Read Next on its Podcasts for book lovers list!
First haul from The Peach Truck! We’re putting them to good use; thanks for all the ideas. (Follow me on Instagram @annebogel.)
On the blog:
One year ago: 20 absorbing doorstop novels for your summer reading list. The perfect list for those of you who prefer a good, LONG book.
Three years ago: A few things I’m loving these days. It’s always fun to revisit a post like this and see what was bringing me joy then and how often those things still bring my joy today.
Five years ago: What to wear when it’s stinkin’ hot out. It’s unfortunately that time.
On What Should I Read Next:
This week’s new episode features a mother-daughter duo, the second in our show’s history! It’s a good one.
On One Great Book:
Don’t miss today’s brand-new episode of my new show One Great Book, where each week I pull one standout selection off my personal bookshelves and tell you all about it, in ten minutes or less.
Have a great weekend!