This week I’m chatting with Caroline Weaver, also known as The Pencil Lady, because by day she owns and operates CW Pencil Enterprise, a shop dedicated exclusively to pencils and pencil-related goods in Manhattan’s lower east side. Will and I visited her shop when we were in New York in June, fell in love, and the end result is this episode—and kids who are a WHOLE lot happier with the erasers they’re using for their schoolwork these days. In today’s episode Caroline and I talk about the pencil business, and then we dive into Caroline’s reading life.
Caroline loves contemporary literary fiction, although that’s not all she reads. She loves when books hit her on an emotional level, especially when a book can make her feel emotions she can’t even describe. She loves seeing writers doing interesting things on the page, and has developed her own personal strategy she relies on for finding books that are right for HER when she’s browsing in her local bookstore.
This episode also veered into areas I wasn’t expecting. Caroline and I get into beautiful mail art, the importance of a handwritten letter, and the perfect pencil for doing the crossword.
Books mentioned in this episode:
Some links are affiliate links. More details here.
• A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, by Dave Eggers
• The Unbearable Lightness of Being, by Milan Kundera
• A Little Life, by Hanya Yanagihara
• Remainder, by Tom McCarthy
• The Book of Laughter and Forgetting, by Milan Kundera
• This Book Will Save Your Life, by A. M. Homes
• My Struggle, by Karl Ove Knausgaard
• The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
• Hot Milk, Deborah Levy
• Modern Lovers, Emma Straub
• Goodbye Vitamin, by Rachel Khong
• Glory, by Vladimir Nabokov
• Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro
• NW, Zadie Smith
• Cloud Atlas, by David Mitchell
• The Bone Clocks, by David Mitchell
• The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, by David Mitchell
• How To Be Both, by Ali Smith
• Author Virginia Wolff
• Prismalo colored pencil set
• Caroline’s book Pencil Perfect
• Crossword puzzle pencil sampler
• Camel craft design technology pencil
• Palomino HB2 pencil
• Tombow 2558b pencil
• Emilio Braga notebooks
• The Letter Writers Alliance
• Mail More Love subscription box
My book Reading People: How Seeing the World Through the Lens of Personality Changes Everything is coming this September 19! This is the story of how my long journey digging into 7 popular personality frameworks changed my life for the better, and how you can put those frameworks to work for yourself to make real, lasting change in your life, in your work, and in your relationships without going through quite so many hard knocks yourself. Pick up your copy on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, your local indie, or wherever books are sold.
What do YOU think Caroline should read next? And when was the last time you sent some snail mail? Let us know in the comments!