WSIRN is going international once again! Today I’m talking to Charity Dušíková, an Iowa native who—as you’ll hear—is now a permanent resident in a small town in the Czech Republic*. We talk about how she ended up making her big move, what convinced her to stay, and the impact that big life change has had on her reading life. We discuss navigating difficult bookish situations, like what to do when you HATE your best friend’s favorite book. And of course we dive into Charity’s favorites.
On that note, a funny thing happened to ME when I just listened through this episode before sharing it with you. Recently, I was inspired to finally pull an old book off my shelf, one that I’ve been meaning to read for ages. One night I needed a new book to read, and I saw it on my shelf, and thought, You know, I’ve had this on my mind lately, I’m going to start it now—and I did. But I didn’t realize until my listen-through that the REASON it was on my mind? Was because Charity named it as one of her favorites. You’ll hear all about it—it’s the memoir she chooses as the second of her three favorite books.
Let’s dive into this episode!
Connect with Charity Dušíková on her blog.
Connect with Anne:
Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | WSIRN Instagram
*Charity asked to add the following footnote: “Ostrava is an industrial city with a history of mining and with a steel industry. Though the mining has ceased, the steel industry is still at work (hence the connection to Detroit). My dear Ostrova has much more to offer than just mining and steel!”
Books mentioned in this episode:
Some links are affiliate links. More details here.
• Life and Death in Shanghai, by Cheng Nien
• Author W.E.B. Du Bois
• The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt
• Author Maeve Binchey
• Peace Like a River, by Leif Enger
• Author James Herriot
• When Breath Becomes Air, by Paul Kalanithi
• Delights & Shadows, by Ted Kooser
• My Name Is Asher Lev, Chaim Potok
• The Year of Magical Thinking, by Joan Didion
• A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole
• Prince Caspian, by C.S. Lewis
• One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are, by Ann Voskamp
• UnSelfie: Why Empathetic Kids Succeed in Our All-About-Me World, by Dr. Michele Borba
• Mistress Bradstreet: The Untold Life of America’s First Poet, Charlotte Gordon
• Author Agatha Christie
• The Unbearable Lightness of Being, by Milan Kundera
• Hourglass: Time, Memory, and Marriage, by Dani Shapiro
• Crossing To Safety, by Wallace Stegner
• The Handmaid’s Tale, by Margaret Atwood
• Snow Falling on Cedars, by David Guterson
• The English Patient, by Michael Ondaatje
• The Crosswicks Journals series, by Madeleine L’Engle
• Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art, by Madeleine L’Engle
• A Wrinkle In Time, by Madeleine L’Engle