Today's WSIRN conversation won't go the direction you’re expecting, and I think you’re going to love it for just that reason. 😉
Today I’m delighted to welcome Kathleen Grissom, author of the hugely bestselling books The Kitchen House and Glory Over Everything. Kathleen is a reading discussion pro: she has talked to more than ONE THOUSAND book clubs since The Kitchen House was published! Today we chat about hardcovers versus paperbacks, "reading books like popcorn", historical fiction with a touch of redemption, and we take a deep dive into Kathleen’s fascinating intuitive writing process.
But before Kathleen became a writer, she was a reader, so of course we get to dig into what she loves, and hates (and why), then I take my best shot at recommending what she should read next.
I can’t wait to share this with you today! Let’s get to it.
Books mentioned in this episode:
Some links are affiliate links, which means at no extra cost to you, you support what we do here on What Should I Read Next. More details here.
• The Kitchen House, by Kathleen Grissom
• Glory Over Everything, by Kathleen Grissom
• The Bobbsey Twins series, by Laura Lee Hope
• The Famous Five, by Enid Blyton
• Anne of Green Gables series, by L.M. Montgomery
• Emily of New Moon series, by L.M. Montgomery
• Gap Creek, by Robert Morgan
• West With The Night, by Beryl Markham
• Circling The Sun, by Paula McLain
• Out of Africa, by Isak Dinesen
• Tools of Titans, by Timothy Ferriss
• Don’t Let’s Go To The Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood, by Alexandra Fuller
• Cocktail Hour Under The Tree of Forgetfulness, by Alexandra Fuller
• Follow The River, by James Alexander Thom
• Alice I Have Been, by Melanie Benjamin
• Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
• The Aviator's Wife, by Melanie Benjamin
• Swans of Fifth Avenue, by Melanie Benjamin
• State of Wonder, by Ann Patchett
• The Summer Before the War, by Helen Simonson
• News of the World, by Paulette Jiles
• All Over But the Shoutin’, by Rick Bragg
• Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption, by Laura Hillenbrand
• Devil At My Heels: A Heroic Olympian's Astonishing Story of Survival as a Japanese POW in World War II, by Louis Zamperini, David Rensin
• Seabiscuit: An American Legend, by Laura Hillenbrand
• The Bean Trees, by Barbara Kingsolver