Today’s guest is Jamie Freeman, a reader who was led to audiobooks by her favorite true crime podcasts… and has since made serious space in her life to read with her earbuds in.
Today we’re chatting about spine-tingly crime nonfiction and historical romance, because like many readers, Jamie’s tastes are both deep and wide, we gush about our favorite audiobook narrators (and I marvel at the sheer quantity of audiobooks Jamie reads each year), and we tackle a frequently asked question: how to get into an audiobook when you’re finding it hard to focus.
Let’s get to it!
You can find Jamie on Instagram @jamie.of.all.trades
Click here to read the full episode transcription (opens in a new tab).
If you want more What Should I Read Next become a supporter on Patreon! That’s where we share follow up interviews we do with past guests and bonus episodes of One Great Book. One Great Book returns this week for a fourth volume so now is a great time to join us on Patreon and get these previews of great books that haven’t been released yet.
Books mentioned in this episode:
● My Oxford Year, by Julia Whelan, w/narration by Julia Whelan
● Charlotte’s Web, by E. B. White, w/narration by Meryl Streep & others
● Narrator Scott Brick
● The Nix, by Nathan Hill, w/narration by Ari Fliakos
● Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore, by Robin Sloan, w/narration by Ari Fliakos
♥ Beartown, by Fredrik Backman
● Us Against You, by Fredrik Backman
● A Man Called Ove, by Fredrik Backman
● Friday Night Lights: A Town, A Team, A Dream, by H. G. Bissinger
♥ The Kennedy Debutante, by Kerri Maher
♥ I’ll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman’s Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer, by Michelle McNamara
▵ The Power, by Naomi Alderman
● Code Name Helene, by Ariel Lawhon
● Stay Sexy and Don’t Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide, by Karen Kilgariff
● Hellhound On His Trail: The Stalking of Martin Luther King Jr., and the International Hunt for His Assassin, by Hampton Sides
● The Stranger Beside Me: The Classic Case of Serial Murder, by Ann Rule
● Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know About the People We Don’t Know, by Malcolm Gladwell
● Meet Me in Monaco: A Novel of Grace Kelly’s Royal Wedding, by Hazel Gaynor
● The Girl in White Gloves: A Novel of Grace Kelly, by Kerri Maher
● Serial podcast
● My Favorite Murder podcast
● The Murder Squad: Jensen and Holes podcast
● Monster: The Zodiac Killer podcast
● The Atlanta Monster podcast
● WSIRN Episode 162, w/Traci Thomas
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
OPENFIT takes all the complexity out of getting fit. It’s a brand new, super simple streaming service that allows you to work-out from the comfort of your living room in as little as 10 minutes a day. Text the code READ to 303030 and join a fitness journey personalized just for you. (Standard message and data rates may apply)
ThirdLove offers more than 80 bra sizes, including their signature half-cup sizes, and use lightweight, super thin memory foam cups that mold to your shape. Their bras are finished off with straps that won’t slip, and tagless labels, making these the most comfortable bras you’ll own. WSIRN listeners can get 15% off your first order!
Brooklinen was the first direct to consumer bedding company, meaning they work directly with manufacturers and directly with customers, no middlemen—just a great product and service. Get 10% off AND free shipping, anytime you shop at Brooklinen.com with promo code READ.
What do YOU think Jamie should read next?