Ever since I visited today’s guest, Annie F. Downs, on her podcast That Sounds Fun a little while ago to talk about Summer Reading, I’ve been wanting to talk all things books and reading with her HERE, on What Should I Read Next. I wasn’t sure what direction our conversation would go in, but I KNEW it would be fun. It IS that—and we also wandered in directions I did not expect today.
We’re chatting about the author who made Annie a better storyteller, her surprising love for reading what she calls “Dead Men’s writing”, we take a detour to totally fangirl about all the literary good Dolly Parton has done in the world, and then I recommend a few books I didn’t expect to recommend at the beginning of our conversation (but felt absolutely perfect by the end.)
Click here to read the full episode transcription (opens in a new tab).
Books mentioned in this episode:
• Dream More: Celebrate the Dreamer in You, by Dolly Parton
♥ Christy, by Catherine Marshall
♥ Maggie, by Charles Martin
• When Crickets Cry, by Charles Martin
♥ Something Needs to Change: A Call to Make Your Life Count in a World of Urgent Need, by David Platt
• Where Mercy is Shown, Mercy is Given, by Duane Dog Chapman
• Revolution of Values: Reclaiming Public Faith for the Common Good, by Jonathan Wilson Hargrove
• The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek, by Kim Michele Richardson
• Never Have I Ever, by Joshilyn Jackson
What do YOU think Annie should read next?