Today’s guest Mary Laura Philpott is an essayist, bookseller, and a big fan of memoirs of people living “everyday lives”. I’m sure many of you will be interested in her “everyday life” as a Book Enthusiast at Large—yes, that is her job title—for Parnassus Books in Nashville.
Today we’re having a great conversation about the reading and writing life, working through her readerly guilt of hating beloved childhood classics, and we explore book flights and reading symphonies.
Let’s get to it!
Join our Patreon community to get more bookish goodness including bonus podcast episodes and our super secret spreadsheet vault with all of the books recommended on WSIRN. Today at 2:00pm EST, Hardback level supporters can join our producer Brenna and I for our quarterly livestream!
Click here to read the full episode transcription (opens in a new tab).
Books mentioned in this episode:
• Penguins with People Problems, by Mary Laura Philpott
• I Miss You When I Blink, by Mary Laura Philpott
• Under the Tuscan Sun, by Frances Mayes
• And Now We Have Everything, by Meaghan O’Connell
♥ Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro
♥ The Year of Magical Thinking, by Joan Didion
♥ Hyperbole and a Half, by Allie Brosh
▵ Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott
• Heidi, by Johanna Spyri
• All This Could Be Yours, by Jami Attenberg
• The View From Penthouse B, by Elinor Lipman
• The Good House, by Ann Leary
• How Proust Can Change Your Life, by Alain de Botton
• The Course of Love, by Alain de Botton
• Parnassus Books in Nashville, TN
• Mary Laura’s published essays
• Word Bookstores in Brooklyn, NY and Jersey City, NJ
• Books Are Magic in Brooklyn, NY
• Avid Bookshop in Athens, Georgia
• The Bookshelf in Thomasville, GA
• Musing, a Parnassus publication
• Surviving the Ordinary: Why We Need Memoir of Regular Lives, by Mary Laura Philpott via LitHub
• WSIRN Ep 164, w/ Chelsea and Curtis
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
If you want to travel easier check out the full line of Away sizes and colors. WSIRN listeners can get $20 off a suitcase by using promo code READNEXT20 during checkout!
ThirdLove knows there’s a perfect bra for everyone, so right now they are offering WSIRN listeners 15% off your first order!
What do YOU think Mary Laura should read next?