Readers, today we’re talking to the second mother-daughter duo in our show’s history, and I couldn’t be happier to welcome this Seattle pair to the show!
Rita and Xoe Amer have always bonded over books, since Xoe was young. She’s all grown up now, but the shared love of reading remains, and bonding over books is a key reason for their tight bond. Today we discuss their history together as readers and also writers, hidden gems from the past, and the great conversations that come from bad books.
Let’s get to it!
You can check out Rita and Xoe’s mother-daughter podcast, Foibles, on their website or by searching “Foibles” on your favorite podcast app.
Click here to read the full episode transcription (opens in a new tab).
Books mentioned in this episode:
• The Fire Cat, by Esther Averil
• The Cat with the Golden Fang, by Rita F. Amer
♥ The Protector of the Small series, by Tamorah Pierce
♥ Lizard Telepathy, Fox Telepathy, by Yoshinori Henguchi
♥ To the Lighthouse, by Virginia Woolf
• Lincoln’s Virtues: An Ethical Biography, by William Lee Miller
• The Sparrow, by Mary Doria Russell
♥ An Infinity of Little Hours: Five Young Men and Their Trial of Faith in the Western World’s Most Austere Monastic Order, by Nancy Klein Maguire
♥ Something Missing, by Matthew Dicks
♥ Miss Hargreaves, by Frank Baur
▵ The Magicians, by Lev Grossman
▵ Flaubert’s Parrot, by Julian Barnes
• Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë
• The Lives and Times of Archie and Mehitabel, by Don Marquis
• Transmetropolitan, by Warren Ellis
• Heating & Cooling: 52 Micro-Memoirs, by Beth Ann Fennelly
• Great With Child: Letters to a Young Mother, by Beth Ann Fennelly
• Kindred, by Octavia Butler
• The Third Man, by Graham Green
• The End of the Affair, by Graham Green
• The Power and the Glory, by Graham Green
• WSIRN Ep 111: A lifetime mother-daughter book club, w/ Emily & Daniela
• Central Cinema in Seattle, WA
• Chin Music Press in Seattle, WA
• Open Books: A Poetry Emporium in Seattle, WA
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Openfit gives you complete flexibility to work out at home, from any device, at any time that suits you! WSIRN listeners can get a special extended 30-day free trial membership to Openfit, when you text READ to 303030.
Prep Dish offers a variety of meal plans to fit any lifestyle including Paleo, Gluten Free, and Keto. Start your free 2-week trial and take care of your meal planning for the whole summer!
The Great Courses Plus offers courses in literature, history, and the sciences so you can fill in where your schooling left off or just scratch a curious itch! Sign up now, and not only will you get a free trial, but for a limited time you’ll lock into their lowest plan ever–just $10 a month–for LIFE!
What do YOU think Rita and Xoe should read together next?