Readers, today we’re talking to the second mother-daughter duo in our show’s history, and I couldn’t be happier to welcome this Seattle pair to the show!
Rita and Xoe Amer have always bonded over books, since Xoe was young. She’s all grown up now, but the shared love of reading remains, and bonding over books is a key reason for their tight bond. Today we discuss their history together as readers and also writers, hidden gems from the past, and the great conversations that come from bad books.
Let’s get to it!
You can check out Rita and Xoe Amer’s mother-daughter podcast, Foibles, on their website or by searching “Foibles” on your favorite podcast app.
Click here to read the full episode transcription (opens in a new tab).
Books mentioned in this episode:
• The Fire Cat, by Esther Averil
• The Cat with the Golden Fang, by Rita F. Amer
♥ The Protector of the Small series, by Tamorah Pierce
♥ Lizard Telepathy, Fox Telepathy, by Yoshinori Henguchi
♥ To the Lighthouse, by Virginia Woolf
• Lincoln’s Virtues: An Ethical Biography, by William Lee Miller
• The Sparrow, by Mary Doria Russell
♥ An Infinity of Little Hours: Five Young Men and Their Trial of Faith in the Western World’s Most Austere Monastic Order, by Nancy Klein Maguire
♥ Something Missing, by Matthew Dicks
♥ Miss Hargreaves, by Frank Baur
▵ The Magicians, by Lev Grossman
▵ Flaubert’s Parrot, by Julian Barnes
• Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë
• The Lives and Times of Archie and Mehitabel, by Don Marquis
• Transmetropolitan, by Warren Ellis
• Heating & Cooling: 52 Micro-Memoirs, by Beth Ann Fennelly
• Great With Child: Letters to a Young Mother, by Beth Ann Fennelly
• Kindred, by Octavia Butler
• The Third Man, by Graham Green
• The End of the Affair, by Graham Green
• The Power and the Glory, by Graham Green
• WSIRN Ep 111: A lifetime mother-daughter book club, w/ Emily & Daniela
• Central Cinema in Seattle, WA
• Chin Music Press in Seattle, WA
• Open Books: A Poetry Emporium in Seattle, WA
What do YOU think Rita and Xoe should read together next?