Readers, last fall my book tour for I’d Rather Be Reading took me to Denver, Colorado, where I enjoyed meeting an amazing crowd of readers at the fabulous independent bookstore BookBar. It was my second visit to BookBar but my first event there and they could not have been more wonderful or welcoming hosts. One of the delights of going on the road was getting to meet so many readers—some for the first time, and some that I felt like I already knew, because either I’d met them in person before or had been friendly with them online for many years. Today’s guest Michelle Wilson falls into the second category. She’s the one who first urged me to visit BookBar—as a reader—and last fall we got to not only meet in person, which was lovely, but also we had the opportunity to sit down and talk about the books we loved, and the books we WISHED we could read… but that didn’t seem to be out there. Today we get to continue that conversation.
I’m so pleased to have Michelle on the show today to talk about the character type she has noticed were missing from the bookshelves, and to recommend some titles to fill that void in her life. It’s not easy, which is probably why it’s such a fun conversation.
Let’s get to it!
Click here to read the full episode transcription (opens in a new tab).
Books mentioned in this episode:
• The Heart, by Maylis de Kerangal
• The Patience Stone, by Atiq Rahimi
• Lucky Boy, by Shanthi Sekaran
♥ Homegoing, by Yaa Gyasi
♥ The Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries, by Sue Grafton
♥ The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures, by Anne Fadiman
▵ My Year of Rest and Relaxation, by Ottessa Moshfegh
• Comemadre, by Roque Larraquy
• The Elephant in the Room: One Fat Man’s Quest to Get Smaller in a Growing America, by Tommy Tomlinson
• Women Rowing North: Navigating Life’s Currents and Flourishing As We Age, by Mary Pipher
• Like a Mule Bringing Ice Cream to the Sun, by Sarah Ladipo Manyika
• Our Souls at Night, by Kent Haruf
• Alternate Side, by Anna Quindlen
• Crossing to Safety, by Wallace Stegner
• An Unnecessary Woman, by Rabih Alameddine
• Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry
• The Last Picture Show, by Larry McMurtry
• Rhino Ranch, by Larry McMurtry
• The Joy Luck Club, by Amy Tan
• Vanity Fair, by William Makepeace Thackeray
• House of the Spirits, by Isabel Allende
• The Japanese Lover, by Isabel Allende
• In the Midst of Winter, by Isabel Allende
Thank you to today’s sponsors:
You can find new and archival episodes of WSIRN, completely ad-free, on Stitcher Premium. Get a free month of Stitcher Premium with the code WONDERY.
Get unlimited access to thousands of lectures and courses with The Great Courses Plus. Start your free trial today.
For $20 off a suitcase from Away use promo code READNEXT during checkout.
What do you think Michelle should read next? Tell us in the comments section!