Today's WSIRN conversation won't go the direction you’re expecting, and I think you’re going to love it for just that reason. 😉
Today I’m delighted to welcome Kathleen Grissom, author of the hugely bestselling books The Kitchen House and Glory Over Everything. Kathleen is a reading discussion pro: she has talked to more than ONE THOUSAND book clubs since The Kitchen House was published! Today we chat about hardcovers versus paperbacks, "reading books like popcorn", historical fiction with a touch of redemption, and we take a deep dive into Kathleen’s fascinating intuitive writing process.
But before Kathleen became a writer, she was a reader, so of course we get to dig into what she loves, and hates (and why), then I take my best shot at recommending what she should read next.
I can’t wait to share this with you today! Let’s get to it.
Books mentioned in this episode:
• The Kitchen House, by Kathleen Grissom
• Glory Over Everything, by Kathleen Grissom
• The Bobbsey Twins series, by Laura Lee Hope
• The Famous Five, by Enid Blyton
• Anne of Green Gables series, by L.M. Montgomery
• Emily of New Moon series, by L.M. Montgomery
• Gap Creek, by Robert Morgan
• West With The Night, by Beryl Markham
• Circling The Sun, by Paula McLain
• Out of Africa, by Isak Dinesen
• Tools of Titans, by Timothy Ferriss
• Don’t Let’s Go To The Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood, by Alexandra Fuller
• Cocktail Hour Under The Tree of Forgetfulness, by Alexandra Fuller
• Follow The River, by James Alexander Thom
• Alice I Have Been, by Melanie Benjamin
• Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
• The Aviator's Wife, by Melanie Benjamin
• Swans of Fifth Avenue, by Melanie Benjamin
• State of Wonder, by Ann Patchett
• The Summer Before the War, by Helen Simonson
• News of the World, by Paulette Jiles
• All Over But the Shoutin’, by Rick Bragg
• Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption, by Laura Hillenbrand
• Devil At My Heels: A Heroic Olympian's Astonishing Story of Survival as a Japanese POW in World War II, by Louis Zamperini, David Rensin
• Seabiscuit: An American Legend, by Laura Hillenbrand
• The Bean Trees, by Barbara Kingsolver
Thanks to this week's sponsors:
Happy Socks is the world’s favorite choice for colorful socks and underwear. They make a great gift, and with Mother’s Day right around the corner the Moms in your life will love them! For a limited time, our listeners can visit www.happysocks.com/readnext and use the promo code READNEXT for a 30% discount and free shipping.
With FabFitFun you receive a seasonal box of full-size products four times a year! Each FabFitFun box retails for $49.99 and always has a value of over $200! It’s the perfect way to treat yourself with the most amazing products of the season!
Become a member today and get $10 off your first box when you use code “READNEXT” at fabfitfun.com.
Whether you’re looking to treat yourself or snag the perfect gift, CrateJoy’s subscription box marketplace has thousands of options to choose from. With dozens of categories like book clubs, new age, gaming, and fitness, there really is a box for everyone.
For book subscriptions that cater to female entrepreneurship, Young Adult fiction, Sci-fi, graphic novels, and more, be sure to check out the ‘What Should I Read Next?” collection at www.cratejoy.com/readnext.
What do YOU think Kathleen should read next? Let us know in the comments!