It’s here! The 2014 Summer Reading Guide. (FREE for you!)

The Third Annual Summer Reading Guide, 2014 Edition | Modern Mrs Darcy

If you’re anything like me, you think summer is made for reading. But nothing is more frustrating than taking a much talked-about book on vacation only to realize it’s underwhelming (or just plain awful) and you’re stuck with nothing.

Anybody can browse a bestseller list, but just because a book is a bestseller doesn’t mean it’s the right book for you.

Enter the summer reading guide.

You all know I love to read, and read a lot. You know where I’m coming from. If you like this blog—and the books I typically recommend here—you’ll find something perfect for you in this guide.

I strove to make this year’s guide compact and easy-to-use. It’s web-based (no PDF to download) and mobile-friendly. It features 7 genres (so you can navigate right to the one that interests you most) with 5 books in each: because a list of 5 great books is much more useful than a list of thousands!

Every book in there has earned its spot, and I’ve personally read it—often more than once. I can vouch for them, and answer any questions you have.

Praise for previous editions

praise for Modern Mrs Darcy reading lists

praise for the summer reading guide from Modern Mrs Darcy

praise for the summer reading guide from Modern Mrs Darcy

Newsletter subscribers should have their free copy in their inbox already.

Not a subscriber yet?

Sign up here to get the 2014 Summer Reading Guide for FREE

* indicates required

(After signing up, you’ll get a confirmation email. Click “subscribe me to this list.” You’ll then be redirected to the guide. If you’re not redirected, don’t worry: a link will be coming by email right after that.)

This newsletter will only arrive monthly-ish. To get regular updates from the blog, subscribe here. Or you can follow this blog on bloglovin’.

Happy summer, and happy reading!

Use the buttons below to share the book love with facebook or twitter. Hover on the images to pin. Thank you!

Comments

Love the new format! Read through several categories before child duties called. Looking forward to checking all these out. :)

Just heard about The Time In-between from a friend. Also have heard great things about The Language of Flowers. Can’t wait to read both!

Browsed through it a few minutes ago, and LOVED IT. Also, I somehow managed to add only 6 titles to my goodreads list. I’m going to call that a successful morning. But I have a feeling I’ll be coming back to it later in the summer when I need something else to read. :-)

Jealous! I would love for my to-read list to be long enough but not overwhelmingly so. Right now I’m firmly in the “overwhelmed” camp!

It helped that I had either already read or planned to read several of the titles on this list. :-) And my to-read list is completely out of control, too. That’s why I was so excited to only add 6 more titles to it. :-)

4. kelly s says

The Secret Keeper is well deserved to be on your list….AWESOME book. One of my favs from last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, Defending Jacob is a good one (not on your list).

5. Jennifer H says

I have read a few of the books on your list and do agree with your recommendation. I did put a couple books on my request list at the library, including one of the non-fiction reads (I hardly ever read non-fiction and when I do, it’s usually something you’ve recommended)! I do miss the kid section from last year though. Maybe you could have a post soon that includes 2 or 3 of each age child’s recent favorites?

6. Shannon says

Would you be willing to suggest five YA reads as well? Looking forward to binge reading this summer- thank you!

That sounds like a good future blog post. :)

Off the top of my head I almost included Code Name Verity in the guide, and The Maze Runner was under consideration as well. I personally loved Wonder, The Mysterious Benedict Society, and Wildwood (though those last two are more middle-grade than YA).

• Shannon says

Great- thanks! I enjoyed The Maze Runner but I wasn’t sure if I wanted to commit to the second book or not… have you read that one? I also loved Wonder. I wanted to give that boy a hug! The other three are now on my list- thank you SO much!

I love The Underneath by Kathi Applet. It is said to be a kids’ book, but is actually somewhat nuanced and probably better suited for young adult and adult readers. I highly recommend it! It’s one of my all-time favorites.

I’m totally not Anne, but I have been binge-reading YA lately. Have you read the Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer? It makes me all fangirl and they are SO GOOD. Also love anything by Jenny B. Jones (Christian YA fiction, and she’s hilarious), and the River of Time series by Lisa T. Bergren.

7. Elizabeth says

Thank you for this. I can’t wait to read some of these. Which novel would you recommend as completely clean? I want to get a book for a friend in the hospital, and I don’t know her to well so I want to make sure I err on the clean side :)
    Thanks!

Yay! Great… Thanks! Here’s hoping I’ll have time to read half as much as what you seem to be able to accomplish!

9. Shannon says

LOVE this list. Read it while sitting poolside in Maui, noting which ones to load on the kindle tonight. Wasn’t “What Alice Forgot” amazing. I’ve raved about it for a year now, loved it so much. I just finished “The Husband’s Secret” by the same author and really enjoyed it. I love how she wraps up her stories without saccharine happily ever afters but without you being miserable where the characters do end up.

And a Southern section?!!! Squee!!! I caught myself describing someone in the elevator as Southern American because of his accent. My mom is southern and I adore the culture so much. Those are all on my list to read or reread.

I absolutely love it!! Foodie memoirs! Southern fiction! I want to read them all. :)

My husband and I are going away for four days in June BY OURSELVES to celebrate our 10th anniversary. I plan on talking to him, eating, and reading. The End.

11. Teresa says

Anne…there’s no link in my email!! Just the phrase “enter the summer reading guide” but no llink. Sad….. Can you help? Thanks!

12. Shay says

Thanks for putting this list together again! I just spent the last hour requesting books from the library, and my list is up to 20! Maybe by the end of the summer I’ll have had the chance to get these all in my hands. :-)

I do love your recommendations, you’ve not steered me wrong!

13. Shelley says

I am so excited to find your blog and most especially your summer reading list!
    Thank you for sharing your love of books!

14. Bobbiann says

I immediately requested several from my library, and so far have read The Language of Flowers (which was pretty good) and just finished The Secret Keeper, an extraordinary story that I loved. I would never have picked up either of these books based on the titles and covers, so thank you so much for your recommendations. I will be reading more of them!

15. Sarah Russell says

I just joined the mailing list but can’t get the reading guide. Is it still available somewhere?

16. Amy says

Help!
    I accidentally deleted your list, and now I can’t resubmit !!
    I must have your reading list !!!!
    Thanks
    Amy

17. Stacy says

I was already subscribed, but not getting any email lately for some reason (and it wasn’t in spam either). I’ve re-subscribed or updated my profile, technically, I guess, but I’m not getting the Summer Reading Guide. Could you send that to me?

Thanks!
    Stacy

18. Denice says

I never got the confirmation email. I broke my arm this summer and my reading list is now oh so short. A painful blessing.

19. Kate says

I’m so glad you recommended the Susan Howatch Starbridge series. I read them one after the other about ten years ago, though I still haven’t read the final book, Absolute Truths. Such a great, character-driven saga that makes you think about your own faith while also teaching a lot of Anglican church history and politics.

1. […] Summer Reading Guide :: Modern Mrs Darcy // Anne’s blog has revitalized my reading life and I look forward to her summer reading guide- it’s free, its chock full of great suggestions and there’s something for every mood. Go check it out and start reading! […]

2. […] Here’s a few things before we start: 1. I rarely read fiction.  It’s not that I don’t like it.  It’s because if I pick up a book, I quickly get sucked into the storyline and before you know it the kids are eating junk food while watching too many shows and the laundry and dishes are forgotten because SOMEONE can’t function in real life when there is a glorious story unfolding only a few pages away. True story.  So the books on my list are of the less gripping non-fiction or memoir variety (for the sake of my children and home, of course).  If you are looking for some fiction reads I recommend Modern Mrs. Darcy’s Summer Reading Guide. […]