Flourless chocolate cake

flourless chocolate cake (with allergy-free variations)

I just (finally) made an FAQ page for the blog, and realized after the fact I should have included this question: what’s that chocolate cake you’re always talking about?

This is the one. Over the past year, this has been our go-to chocolate cake around here. I believe that in 2014, it was the birthday dessert of choice for all six of us. Fine by me. It’s easy, delicious, and easily accommodates those with allergies to the big eight. Grown-ups can mix up this batter in ten minutes flat, and kids can do it by themselves.

I’ve adapted this recipe to suit my own reality. In the original recipe, which caps off Molly Wizenberg’s foodie memoir A Homemade Life, Molly specifies using the very best butter and chocolate you can find. I’m sure the cake is wonderful that way, but I’ve never made it like that.

Instead of seeking out (and coughing up the $$$ for) Scharffen Berger, I’ve always used Ghirardelli. Instead of using the European high-butterfat butter that Molly calls for, I most often use plain old grocery store butter. Half of us don’t eat gluten, so I ditched the tablespoon of flour in favor of almond meal or a gluten-free flour blend.

This cake has turned out beautifully every time.

One of these days I want to try making it with good chocolate and European butter–maybe for Valentine’s Day ?–but until then, my everyday version will suit us just fine.

Flourless chocolate cake

adapted from A Homemade Life

• 7 ounces chocolate (I use Ghirardelli 70% bittersweet) (1 cup + 2 1/2 tablespoons)
  • 7 ounces butter
  • 250 grams (1 1/3 cup) white sugar
  • 5 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon almond meal*

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line the bottom of an 8-inch round cake pan with parchment. Butter the parchment and sides of the pan.

Melt the butter and chocolate gently in the microwave or in a double boiler, stirring regularly. Stir in the sugar and let cool for a few minutes (so you don’t scramble your eggs). Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, stirring well. Stir in the almond meal.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes. The cake is done when the center is set and reasonably firm, but not completely set. (The toothpick test won’t work: the toothpick won’t be completely clean, even when the cake is done.)

Let the cake rest in its pan on a rack until it’s cool enough to handle; then invert the cake onto a plate. Let the cake cool completely before serving.

The cake is excellent on its own, or served with a dollop of whipped cream or fresh raspberries.

flourless chocolate cake (with allergy-free variations)

It’s almost Valentine’s Day, so the kids and I dusted a powdered sugar heart on top. Cute, huh?

Allergy free adaptation:

• Use Enjoy Life chocolate and coconut oil instead of butter.
  • Use 1 tablespoon allergy-free flour or flour mix in place of the almond flour.

A note about the measurements:

The original measurements are for the scale, not the measuring cup. I’ve converted them for your convenience, but think about the scale. Cooks Illustrated persuaded me to make the switch to baking by weight five years ago and I’ve never looked back. I adore my scale, and use it every single day–if only to make my coffee.

flourless chocolate cake (with allergy-free variations)

P.S. I loved Molly’s memoir A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table. The ebook is $1.99 on Amazon right now. Read it now before her next installment, Delancey: A Man, a Woman, a Restaurant, a Marriage, goes on sale May 6.

And twitterature is happening February 15. Get your posts ready!

This post contains my affiliate links. Thanks for supporting MMD.

(Because this is a darn cheap way to wow a crowd, I’m linking this up with Thrifty Thursday at Living Well, Spending Less.)

Comments

I’ve made this cake 4 or 5 times, and used premium chocolate and butter once, versus Ghirardelli and regular store butter the other times. Apparently my taste buds aren’t sophisticated enough to tell a difference, which makes my wallet happy. :)

2. Lee Ann says

Cook’s Illustrated rates Ghirardelli’s 60 percent cacao chocolate baking bar highest in their most recent taste test, so you don’t have to splurge on expensive chocolate. That’s what I usually use – either that or semisweet chocolate chips – and my flourless chocolate cake always turns out just fine.

Oh, blah. You’re right. We were strict egg-free for two years, and now that my daughter seems to have outgrown the egg allergy (knock on wood!) I forgot it was top 8. :(

This looks so good! We keep kosher so I would try it with coconut oil instead of butter (if I were going to serve after a meat meal). Thanks!

Yummy! Totally agree about getting a scale, it makes all the difference if you have to bake gluten free, and despite being laughed at, we use it to weigh our coffee beans too.

5. Kelty says

Wow! that does look good. We’re on day 30 of our whole30, so I’m having wild dreams about chocolate anything at this point!

Also, Trader Joe’s has fabulously cheap baking chocolate if you’re ever near one. Their “Big Bar” is $4.99. It will last you several projects as well.

I’ve gifted quite a few of those big bars but I’ve never tried one, and definitely never baked with one! I go to Trader Joe’s all the time (so happy to have one in my town now!) so I’ll have to pick one up on my next visit. Thanks for the tip!

• Kelty says

It’s the “Pound Plus” bar. Sorry, I got the name wrong and then saw it in the cabinet. They go from Milk Chocolate to 72% dark. I’m not sure what I did before Trader Joes!

6. Stephanie says

This is also my go-to chocolate dessert recipe–it’s wowed everyone from bookgroup friends to my husband’s colleagues! I also usually use Ghirardelli chocolate chips. (Once I used an orange-flavored dark chocolate bar for half the chocolate, and that was lovely too.) In winter it’s fun with whipped cream and pomegranate seeds.

But you didn’t mention one of its loveliest features: it can be frozen! Molly says it actually tastes even better after it’s frozen and thawed (I’ve never done the comparison, but I believe her). Just thaw for 24 hr before serving, and voila! The best make-ahead dessert EVER.

• Andrea says

My husband weighs his coffee beans, too (I drink tea). It’s a more precise measure, and coffee devotees take their coffee seriously! ;-)

• Karlyne says

I love my coffee, too, and I’m extremely picky about what I drink, and I even used to manage a couple of espresso shops back when they were uncommon, but I’ve never weighed the beans!

I am curious to see how this would be veganized… so I’ll give it a try! I like to use coconut flour to avoid processed wheat flour, but have been wanting to try some flourless recipes.

So Anne, now you have to tell us – how much coffee do you weigh out? :)

8. Nolo says

I’m another big fan of this cake and have made it many times. What I’ve learned…
    *ground teff is a great replacement for the wheat flour and increases the chocolatey-ness
    *a teaspoon or so of ground espresso powder also increases the chocolate factor (not required and I frequently don’t use it b/c children love this cake!)
    *a bit of salt enhances the flavor as well
    *rapadura sugar is the best – a sugar somewhere between white and brown sugar (definitely a noticeable difference when I’ve used that sugar)
    *to make this even quicker, I mix the first four eggs all at once and then add the last one in – I’ve never noticed a difference doing it this way and it feels more efficient
    *Finally, the biggest thing is that I use a 8 or 9 inch springform pan (or two smaller ones) – much easier to get the cake out of the pan; the smaller pans are great to have a small cake for ~5 people and then having a cake to freeze for later
    *And, yes, the cake’s texture definitely improves after it has been frozen. It also defrosts pretty quickly (a couple of hours on the counter) so it is easy to pull one out close to the last minute.

That cake looks heavenly! I’m slowly going wheat free so it’s nice to stumble across a dessert that replaces flour. Going on my recipes-to-try list!

The Lexi-Comp databases cover every topic in the healthcare industry
    and are available in modules to suit your needs, from individual fields to a comprehensive package.
    i – Phone apps have flooded in the contemporary market with lots of amendments and
    outstanding features. In fact, some evidence shows that as many as 50 per cent of i – Phone users find new
    apps through recommendations of friends.

Also visit my page kik messenger online

What’s good about this app is that it turns
    your i – Phone’s camera into some sort of flatbed scanner.
    i – Phone apps have flooded in the contemporary market
    with lots of amendments and outstanding features.
    Other features of the app include – adjustable exercise duration, adjustable breath duration, verbal instruction option,
    audible chime, and screen color changes and other graphics.

Here is my blog; kik messenger android

1. […] 1. I am That Lady {How to Turn 2 Hours Per Week into $5,200 per Year} 2. Snail Pace Transformations {How I Plan My Days and Weeks} 3. Mums Make Lists {50 Things You Need to Run Your House } 4. Whole Food Mom on a Budget {Top 6 Simple Ways to Save at the Grocery Store } 5. Live Like You are Rich {3 Secrets to Save $102,533.35 on Your Mortgage} 6. The Thinking Closet {101 Creative Date Nights on a Dime} 7. Feet Grounded on the Earth{Organizing:Little Things Can Make a Big Difference} 8. Coupon Crazy Girl {Freezer Breakfast Burritos} 9. Detours in Life {Bathroom Vanity Makeover} 10. Modern Mrs. Darcy {Flour-less Chocolate Cake} […]