Twitterature (December 2013 edition)

(If you’re viewing this post in an RSS reader or by email, click over to the blog to view the link up. Thanks!)

twitterature monthly reading linkup short reviews

Welcome to the Twitterature link-up! For the lowdown, head over here, or try this Cliff Notes version: this is the place to share short, casual reviews of books you’ve been reading.

Here’s what I’ve been reading

tw 1

Evensong, Gail Godwin

I have a tower of books I’ve never read, but I was dying to re-read this novel. Then I realized it was an Advent book. Perfect timing. #RereadingIsTheBestReading. #SouthernFiction

tw 5

Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading, Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone

If you ever read books with kids, it’s worth reading through this how-to handbook at least once. #BooksArePuzzles #PaperGains

tw 2

Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative, Austin Kleon

Write the book you want to read. Side projects are important. Geography is no longer our master. I put off reading this one for way too long. Wise, fun, fast. #KickInThePants

tw 3

Daily Rituals: How Artists Work, Mason Currey

A glimpse into the working habits of 237 writers, painters, architects, composers, etc, from Benjamin Franklin to Woody Allen, Sylvia Plath to Twyla Tharp. So.many.addictions. #fascinating

against all grain

Against All Grain: Delectable Paleo Recipes to Eat Well & Feel Great, Danielle Walker

Soaked almonds! Sesame crock-pot chicken! Maple sage sausage! My whole family is enjoying getting familiar with this #paleo cookbook.

What have you been reading lately?

twitterature monthly reading linkup short reviews

Comments

I thought you “might” do a Jane Austen-themed Twitterature since today is her birthday. But I did! Thanks for the link-up; it made me happy to write about Jane-inspired books this month.

What a great list. Somehow I have not read any of these books- not even Deconstructing Penguins which sounds right up my alley! Can’t wait to grow my to be read pile!!

Hmmm. It’s definitely different than The Read Aloud Handbook, or What to Read When. If your library has a copy I’d pick it up and at least flip through it. This one’s geared towards discussing books with kids, especially grade schoolers.

Just that it’s specifically set during the Advent season, which also turns out to be important to the plot, and a huge plot theme is the waiting.

I’ve read Godwin’s Father Melancholy’s Daughter and A Southern Family. Her characters stayed with me long after I was done. Must read more of her books!

I’m doing some re-reading of my own: The Book of Three, a childhood favorite. And I’m about 100 pages into Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children.

Evensong is the follow-up to Father Melancholy’s Daughter (so now I want to re-read that one, too). I’ve never read A Southern Family. I’d like to read more of her books but need to figure out which ones to start with.

4. Shelly says

I’ve read everything we have at home, and, since it’s snowed three times in the last week, I don’t really feel like venturing out to the library right now, so I’m actually reading one of my son’s books called- don’t laugh- Cryptid Hunter. (Hey, I was desperate. I go crazy when I don’t have something to read!) I’m actually,enjoying it, though, and, truth be told, I do usually get most of my books in the young adult section of the library. My teenage daughter and I often share books. Maybe it makes me feel younger. Sigh…

5. Cori says

Ok, I have a long list of books I would love to dive into, but can’t seem to get started on this reading thing since having kids 4 years ago. Any tips on reading as a mom with little ones at home?

My husband (a painter by craft) and I read Steal Like an Artist this year. I think my biggest take away was that there is really nothing new under the sun :) It’s so comforting to know that everything really has been done before. We just put our own stamp on it … our own personalities … our own life experiences, hopes, dreams, mistakes, lessons.

No, I didn’t read the blog beforehand. First I heard about the book, then the blog–but my understanding is that the book is a compilation of the blog. So it’s worth getting if the convenience of having everything in one place appeals to you … but not worth getting if you only want the book if you’re getting new material.