Today I’m chatting with Mary Gaertner. I met Mary and her friend Rachel in my very own living room, at the Popcast Live pre-party! Mary and Rachel drove down from Cincinnati together, and spent the car ride choosing their What Should I Read Next books - 3 books they love, 1 book they hate, and what they’re reading now. Mary told me her books, especially the book she HATED, and I said - you need to come on the show! So … we made it happen.
Today Mary and I discuss copycat books, strong female protagonists, escapism, genres we aren't so sure about, and the special feeling of reading a unique book for the first time.
Connect with Mary's work at Girls On The Run:
Connect with Anne:
Books mentioned in this episode:
Some links are affiliate links, which means at no extra cost to you, you support what we do here on What Should I Read Next. More details here.
• American Wife, by Curtis Sittenfeld
• Eligible, Curtis Sittenfeld
• Kindred, Octavia E. Butler
• The Language of Flowers, by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
• Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn
• Behind Closed Doors, by B.A. Paris
• Americanah, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
• Lincoln in the Bardo, by George Saunders
• Church of the Small Things: The Million Little Pieces That Make Up a Life, by Melanie Shankle
• Small Great Things, by Jodi Picoult
• This is How It Always Is, by Laurie Frankel
• All the Ugly and Wonderful Things, by Bryn Greenwood
• Behold The Dreamers, by Imbolo Mbue
• What Alice Forgot, by Liane Moriarty
• Big Little Lies, by Liane Moriarty
• The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas
• The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant
Thanks to this week's sponsors:
Revell Books has tons of new offerings for August; with several binge-worthy suspense titles that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Learn more about Revell and their new releases at RevellBooks.com.
Babbel is the #1 selling language learning app in the world. With interactive technology and short, convenient 10-15 minute lessons, you can learn wherever you are and whenever you can make time in your busy schedule. Visit Babbel.com/READNEXT and use the offer code READNEXT.
What do YOU think Mary should read next? Let us know in the comments!