Today’s guest is Claire Diaz Ortiz, who was an absolute delight to talk to and SO HARD to recommend books to! That's because Claire has a Very Favorite Genre that makes her go "crazy with excitement"—and she's read pretty much every title that falls under it's umbrella. So when it came time to recommend what she should read next ... well, you see the problem.
In this episode, Claire tells me what she means when she says she's an "obsessive reader," and how she can always spot fellow obsessive readers aka "bookish kindred spirit angels". We discuss the ways our personalities influence how we read. And of course we dive into Claire’s very favorite genre—the one that makes her heart sing—and I gotta tell you, I laughed out loud the first time she told me what it was.
Today’s episode was TOUGH for me, because Claire isn't kidding when she says she's read everything, but we made it through, and had a lot of fun—and a LOT of book talk—in the process.
Connect with Claire:
A few of Claire's books:
• Design Your Day: Be More Productive, Set Better Goals, and Live Life On Purpose, by Claire Diaz-Ortiz
• Twitter for Good: Change the World One Tweet at a Time, by Claire Diaz-Ortiz
• Hope Runs: An American Tourist, a Kenyan Boy, a Journey of Redemption, by Claire Diaz-Ortiz
• Greater Expectations: Succeed (and Stay Sane) in an On-Demand, All-Access, Always-On Age, by Claire Diaz-Ortiz
• The Better Life: Small Things You Can Do Right Where You Are, by Claire Diaz-Ortiz
Connect with Anne:
Books mentioned in this episode:
• Don’t Let’s Go To The Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood, by Alexandra Fuller
• Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness, Alexandra Fuller
• Leaving Before the Rains Come, Alexandra Fuller
• Euphoria, by Lily King
• The People in the Trees, by Hanya Yanagihara
• State of Wonder, by Ann Patchett
• Superbetter: The Power of Living Gamefully, by Jane McGonigal
• Presence: Bringing Your Boldest Self to Your Biggest Challenges, by Amy Cuddy
• New Slow City: Living Simply in the World's Fastest City, by William Powers
• Twelve by Twelve: A One-Room Cabin Off the Grid and Beyond the American Dream, by William Powers
• Hamlet's BlackBerry: A Practical Philosophy for Building a Good Life in the Digital Age, by William Powers
• The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt
• Everything I Never Told You, by Celeste Ng
• A Thousand Hills to Heaven: Love, Hope, and a Restaurant in Rwanda, by Josh Ruxin
• What Falls from the Sky: How I Disconnected from the Internet and Reconnected with the God Who Made the Clouds, by Esther Emery
• The Need to Help: The Domestic Arts of International Humanitarianism, by Liisa H. Malkki
• At Home in the World: Reflections on Belonging While Wandering the Globe, by Tsh Oxenreider
• The Kitchen House, by Kathleen Grissom
• Glory Over Everything, by Kathleen Grissom
• Born A Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood, by Trevor Noah
• Circling The Sun, by Paula McLain
• West With the Night, by Beryl Markham
• Who’s Your City: How the Creative Economy Is Making Where to Live the Most Important Decision of Your Life, by Richard Florida
• The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun, by Gretchen Rubin
• The House in the Sky, by Amanda Lindhout and Sara Corbett
• Traveling with Pomegranates: A Mother and Daughter Journey to the Sacred Places of Greece, Turkey, and France, by Sue Monk Kidd
• The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd
• The Constant Gardener, by John le Carré
• In Other Words, by Jhumpa Lahiri
• Little Bee, by Chris Cleave
• Gorge: My Journey Up Kilimanjaro at 300 Pounds, by Kara Richardson Whitely
Thanks to this week's sponsors:
ThirdLove uses real women’s measurements to create bras that fit better—available in sizes double-A through G, as well as their exclusive half-cup sizes. Go to ThirdLove.com/READNEXT now and try ThirdLove FREE for 30 days.
Unbreakable, thoughtfully designed, and guaranteed for life, Away suitcases are the perfect carry-ons. They even come with a built-in battery that can charge your phone up to five times.
Just in time for Father's Day - get $20 off any carry-on purchse, a free Harry's shave kit by visiting awaytravel.com/fathersday and using promo code READNEXT during checkout, while supplies last. Offer valid until June 18, 2017.
Order by 11:59PM EST on Tuesday June 13th and choose expedited shipping to receive in time for Father’s Day.
A Kindle e-reader is a great way to encourage a child’s emerging love for reading, especially as they begin to read chapter books independently. The lightweight Kindle e-reader is perfect for young readers because they can bring thousands of books with them, wherever they go, without weighing down their backpack!
Learn more about the ways Kindle inspires a child’s love of reading by visiting amazon.com/kindleforkids.
What do YOU think Claire should read next? Let us know in the comments!