If you have ever dreamed of opening your own bookstore, you’re about to learn exactly how another reader is making that dream come true. Meet Alison Frenzel, a reader from Waco Texas who is in the process of bringing her bookish business idea into the real world!
In this episode we discuss our nostalgic reading habits, what books and chocolate cake have in common, and the extroverted reader's perspective. When it's time to talk bookshop business, Alison has some solid business advice for my favorite fictional bookstore owner, Kathleen Kelly.
Let's dive in.
Books mentioned in this episode:
Some links are affiliate links, which means at no extra cost to you, you support what we do here on What Should I Read Next. More details here.
• The Betsy-Tacy series, by Maud Hart Lovelace
• The Distant Hours, by Kate Morton
• The Sea of Tranquility, by Katja Millay
• Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore, by Robin Sloan
• Commonwealth, by Ann Patchett
• The Woman in Cabin 10, by Ruth Ware
• The Madwoman Upstairs, by Catherine Lowell
• Possession, by A.S. Byatt
• First Impressions: A Novel of Old Books, Unexpected Love, and Jane Austen, by Charlie Lovett
• The Bookman’s Tale: A Novel of Obsession, by Charlie Lovett
• The Lost Book of the Grail, by Charlie Lovett
• Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Brontë
• Wuthering Heights, by by Charlotte & Emily Brontë
• The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, by Anne Brontë
• The Bronte Sisters collection
• Everything, Everything, by Nicola Yoon
• The Sun Is Also A Star, by Nicola Yoon
• Far Far Away, by Tom McNeal
• The Virgin in the Garden, by A.S. Byatt
• This Is Where You Belong: The Art & Science of Loving Where You Live, by Melody Warnick
WSIRN Episodes mentioned:
Cratejoy: your go-to-destination for all things subscription boxes. From books, beauty, fandom, and more - Cratejoy is a subscription marketplace where you’re guaranteed to find a box as unique as you are.
To see the exclusive ‘What Should I Read Next?’ collection, visit cratejoy.com/readnext.
ThirdLove bras were developed using thousands of real women’s measurements, and range from sizes AA to G – including signature 1/2 cup sizes! So, no matter your body shape, you are sure to find a fit that’s right for you.
ThirdLove stands behind their products so much that they’re willing to let our listeners try a bra from their 24/7 collection FREE! Just pay $2.99 for shipping. Go to thirdlove.com/readnext to get started today!
With FabFitFun you receive a seasonal box of full-size products four times a year! It’s the perfect way to treat yourself with the most amazing products of the season.
Become a member today and get $10 off your first box when you use code “READNEXT” at fabfitfun.com.
What do YOU think Alison should read next? Let us know in the comments!