Hello readers, it's Tuesday once more and time for a special seasonal episode of What Should I Read Next!
This is a WSIRN first— a repeat guest, and I couldn't think of anybody I'd rather bring back on. Today I'm chatting with bookstore owner Holland Saltsman about everything you didn't know you wanted to know about opening an independent bookstore, how to support indies this holiday season, the best three books we each read this year, and our favorite books and bookish gifts for this holiday season and all year 'round. I hope you enjoy this episode and get a ton of great holiday gift ideas for the readers in your life.
If you want to find EVEN MORE great new gift-worthy titles, check out the Fall Releases episode of WSIRN in which Holland and I gushed about all the new treasures that hit bookshelves recently. And don't miss the full MMD 2016 Gift Guide for Book Lovers.
This week we're linking titles via Indiebound.org. You'll be able to input your zip code and find a local bookshop to explore and support with your gift-giving!
Titles discussed in this episode:
• The One-In-A-Million Boy, by Monica Wood
• The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper, by Phaedra Patrick
• News of the World, by Paulette Jiles
• The Sparrow, by Maria Doria Russel
• Everyone Brave is Forgiven, by Chris Cleave
• The Muse, by Jessie Burton
• Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast, by Josh Funk
• Tequila Mockingbird, by Tim Federle
• Gone With The Gin, by Tim Federle
• Hickory Daiquiri Dock, by Tim Federle
• Other-Wordly: Words Both Strange & Lovely from Around the World, by Yee-Lum Mak
• The Emotionary, by Eden Sher
Gifts and resources mentioned in this episode:
• Pins & jewelry made from books, by Yes & Yes designs
• "Quitter strip" spoon bookmarks from Stamp & Soul
• Literary candles from Frostbeard Studio. (To get the special Novel Neighbor candle, contact the store directly and they'll take care of you.)
• Book darts
• Personal library kit from Knock Knock
• A Novel Journal
• Moleskine notebooks
• Leucchtturm notebooks
• "Notes for my future therapist" and "Totally legitimate feelings" notebooks by Emily McDowell Studio
• A Novel Subscription, The Novel Neighbor's new book subscription service
• Book of the Month club
• The Puffin in Bloom Collection
• The Drop Caps Collection
• Check out this post for beautiful copies of classic children's books and this post for gorgeous editions of Anne of Green Gables.
This holiday season, Sock Club is delivering the perfect gift experience. Quality American-made socks are sent straight to your loved-one’s door, featuring different designs and a personal note every month. This is the gift that keeps giving all year long. Visit SockClub.com and get 15% off using discount code READNEXT at checkout.
Looking for the perfect holiday gift for that curious kid in your life? Check out Little Passports, the award-winning educational subscription that will show them the world! What Should I Read Next listeners can find special holiday deals and get a peek inside the monthly packages at LittlePassports.com/READ.