Best book you’ve never heard of on … organizing.

Best Book You've Never Heard of: Organizing Solutions for People with Attention Deficit Disorder | Modern Mrs Darcy

It’s been a while since I’ve shared a “Best Book You’ve Never Heard of” post. View previously featured books here.

I don’t remember who I should thank for first recommending Susan Pinsky’s book Organizing Solutions for People with Attention Deficit Disorder to me. I never would have found it on my own: I didn’t think I was the target audience, and the cover isn’t exactly eye candy. (But it turns out that’s appropriate for a book targeted to an ADD audience.)

I should start by saying that I don’t have ADD, but I’m highly distractable, and the tips in this and other ADD-targeted books have made my life a lot easier.

The book has two sections: part 1 outlines a general approach to ADD-friendly organizing. Pinsky explains what makes organizing for ADD types so hard, and what to do about it.

Her mantra, in a nutshell, is this: “The best organizational system for someone with ADD is the one that is most efficient, simplest, most convenient, and the easiest to maintain, because it requires the least number of steps and materials.” If these requirements aren’t met, there is no chance someone with ADD will follow through with an organizational system.

Part II contains individual projects, fittingly scaled to be completable in a short time frame (that is, before one might get distracted and move on to the next shiny project begging for attention). My favorite projects concern the home office , calendars and scheduling, and kids’ rooms.

This is a great little handbook I come back to again and again, especially when my home (or my calendar) begins to feel like it’s spiraling out of control.

The best book you've never heard of on ... organizing

Let’s do a link-up!

I want to give everyone an opportunity to share a favorite book the rest of us have never heard of. On Tuesday, July 30, I’ll set up a post and a linky for everyone to share their posts.

Date: Tuesday, July 30

Time: We’ll go live at 7:00 am EST.

Topic: Best Book You’ve Never Heard Of

If you don’t have a blog, be ready to tell us a favorite book in comments that day.

I can’t wait to see what everyone recommends!

Is organizing a struggle for you? Tell us about your struggles, solutions, and Aha! moments–ADD-related or not–in comments.

Comments

I despise organizing!!! I always have to listen to an audible while I do it. It’s the only way it’s going to happen. I wish I could break my habit of throwing clothes on the floor. I know it’s because I need a better system (too many things stored overhead)! Can’t wait to see the books people come up with!! I’ll be thinking about it.

2. Missy G. says

I am so excited to check this out! I hate that most organizing tips seem to be for people who are already Type A personalities, and I joke that I’m a Type Z. Thank you for this recommendation!

I’m going to link up next Tuesday, Anne. Just finished the post and have it all scheduled and ready to go. Hope you like obscure Chesterton novels.

Tim

P.S. Do you have a link I can embed in my post?

I love to organize. And read about organizing. And writing about organizing. In fact, I just started a series on my own blog about housekeeping — which is really about organizing in a specific domain.

I’ll try to remember to link up on Tuesday. For all my love of organizing…. I’m not the most organized!

I commented on fb about this but wanted to make a mention here as well, this has been the best organizing book I could have purchased for someone like me. I actually have ADHD and have always struggled with housework, it gets to a point where I can have mini panic attacks just not knowing where to start. On your recommendation I bought the ebook of this and read through it. It has helped in many ways, simple things that I would not have thought of before like taking the lids off of your trash cans and more that make so much more sense when someone struggles to trying to stay on task with household work. If I get frustrated with a room, I just stop and take a breath and read the chapter about that room again and it gives me clarity. Thanks again for the recommendation. I hope to blog about it after a few months of utilizing some of the advice. I’ll make sure to link to this post.

6. Allie says

A book that had helped me so much in the past and I will still use is called Sink Reflections by Marla Cilley. It’s amazing. It is also by a Christian author so it does incorporate scriptures and stuff like that, which I love. But I am ADD so I’m def checking out this book!

1. […] I really struggled with organization until I realized I was a visual type. If I can’t see it, it doesn’t exist. (It took me decades to figure this out: I was confused by the fact that what I wanted to see was words, not pictures. I finally realized the “seeing” was the important part with the help of the best organizing book you’ve never heard of.) […]