In Which My 7-Year-Old Tells Me How to Live My Life. (And How You Should Live Yours.)

My 7-year-old has decided she might want to be a writer when she grows up, so she’s been practicing. In fact, she’s written a book, and she’s given me permission to share it with you here today.

This little book and its contents are all hers–no prompts from me. It’s very clear to me what inspired some of these pages; I have no idea about some of the others.

I hope you enjoy her book. Now I need to go order her some more Pilot G-2s and her own copy of Emily of New Moon.
In Which My 7-Year-Old Tells Me How to Live My Life (and How You Should Live Yours) | Modern Mrs Darcy

Not everyone is a friend so don’t be sad when you make a friend then find out she is the wrong kind of person.

You cannot trust everyone so don’t be confused when somebody says something that isn’t true.

If you’re alone make a friend.

If you do not have enough money get a job.

If your friend moves away she can still be your friend.

If there is not a place where you can work get a job at home.

If you’re in a race and you know you can’t win don’t cheat just try your best.

If your friend did something mean don’t be mean to her.

If you’re bored and you can’t find anything to do play with a brother or sister.

If a bully comes by your house go inside.

If you want to sew and don’t have a pattern don’t use one be creative.

What’s a hard truth you learned when you were young?

Comments

1. Alice says

I love this book! I am looking forward to reading more from this young author! Such good advice for any age group!

Such wisdom for a young lady! It is amazing the lessons they learn so early! I taught second grade for 8 years and it sounds like she would have been a joy to have in class! Thanks for sharing!

I’m very tempted to write in your daughter as my vote for President. This is how we should all live our lives – you are obviously a fabulous mom – be proud!!!

Sarah, figuring out these things now is giving you a great start on a great life. Way to go! (And, I didn’t need your mom’s typed captions — I could read your handwriting just fine.) I look forward to reading more of your work sometime.

Love,
    Mrs. Biesecker

5. Audrey says

“Out of the mouths of babes.” That was fabulous! I think you definitely have a young authoress in the making. :) I’m looking forward to following her career. I love the simple truths that we all need to be reminded of, and the touch of humor. She also has great handwriting and spelling for someone so young. You should be very proud!

6. Tara says

Out of the mouths of babes! I am always amazed at the wisdom of children (I have one close that that age too). Your daughter writes beautifully. What great spirit, spunk and insight!

I love the things kids think, say and write. Many times I feel like they’re wiser than we are. :) No wonder Jesus tells us to become like little children.

LOVE this! I’m definitely going to share Sarah’s “book” with Libby – she’ll love it! It’s really too bad we don’t live just streets apart anymore…I just know Libby and Sarah would have a blast together – two little bookworms! :) Sarah is truly insightful for her age. You must be so proud!

9. Ruthanne says

What a lovely piece of writing. I hope you share more as you can. Wonderful words that some people do not understand their entire lives.

Thanks for sharing Sarah and Anne.

This is great! What a wise little seven-year-old. =) And you earned major points with me by even knowing what “Emily of New Moon”– my favourite book series– is.

I am so laughing about the if-you-need-money-get-a-job one. A few weeks ago on my blog we went all over the place about that family earning $460/week, and finally one of my male readers noted that the guy needed a different job. Your daughter likewise sums it up pretty succinctly!

12. Adrienne says

This is so sweet and insightful. These are hard truths to learn, but it seems so simple when shared by a child without all of our grown-up issues thrown in there to complicate things.

13. Charlie says

So lovely, what a clever little girl! This advice should be taken on by both adults and children, you’ve obviously taught her well! X

14. Janae says

Loved this so much! If the rest of America followed this advice we would be in a much better place! Tell her to run for president one day!

15. vicki says

This girl is so very sweet!

I’m looking for a particular link for for Emma. She likes the page about about a friend moving away!

Goodness, this is the best thing I’ve read all day! Now, I have to go share it to bring a fresh bit of joy and sense to some others! She certainly hit the nail on the head – a very wise young lady :)

17. Ellie Campbell says

Your daughter’s advice is good for any age. I loved reading her book and was so entranced by the content that I did not notice the typing below her printing.

18. Heather says

Just discovered your website today, and fell into this lovely post.
    Thank you, Sarah, for the good advice. I especially was touched by the one saying a friend who moves away is still a friend. My best friend just moved away and we are trying to work out how to keep the ties close. It helps that she is my daughter’s mother-in-law.

Love this!!! My kids are 11 and 12 and, although it drives me crazy at times when they think they know everything, I’ve come to discover, that often times, they do now better than adults :-) Sharing this!