Book Riot’s second Quarterly subscription box just arrived, and I’m unpacking it for you. Imagine Birchbox for books: subscribers receive at least one book and other bookish goodies once a quarter. The cost is $50, and they promise they’ll send you goods worth more than your purchase price.
This shipment contained more books than I expected–definitely not a bad thing!
• Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley, a novella about a traveling bookman set in 1917.
• Judging a Book by Its Lover: A Field Guide to the Hearts and Minds of Readers Everywhere by Lauren Leto. This sounds like the book version of judging other people by their bookshelves.
• The packing notes said that some lucky subscribers received a “bonus book”: an advanced copy of one of five forthcoming releases. I was among the lucky ones, and found an ARC of The Vacationers: A Novel, by Emma Straub (due out May 29) in my box.
I should have been thrilled, but instead I ‘m disappointed at my near miss: I didn’t get a copy of Delancey: A Man, a Woman, a Restaurant, a Marriage, due out May 6, which was also on the list, and is on my list of the books I can’t wait to read in 2014. Now I’m crossing my fingers that I adore The Vacationers.
• The box also included a flash drive that held a Short Story Thursday Digital Dispatch from Jacob Tomsky. I plugged it in to my laptop to watch a short video about how SST began and download two short stories. I can already tell that these are not to my taste, but I love the concept.
Book Riot also promised to include some book fetish items in every shipment. This box included:
• Book Darts, which look like a better alternative to the neon post-it flags I use for this purpose.
• Banned book mug. Enough said, right? I have enough mugs, but I’ll find a place for this in my cabinet.
• Yay! Books! magnet. I want my kids to grow up in a house where this is what adorns our fridge.
One more bonus:
I’ll find a home for this publisher’s poster somewhere, preferably somewhere where my kids can see it.
The next Quarterly box ships in the third quarter, but since they’ve been selling them out I’d sign up now. Sign up here to reserve your #BKR03 box.
Reminder! The next Twitterature link-up will be Saturday, March 15. Get your posts ready!
(Quarterly gave me a complimentary box, but before they offered, I’d already signed up with my own cold hard cash. As always, all opinions are my own.)
This post contains my affiliate links. Thanks for supporting MMD!