Linking up with the lovely Leigh Kramer to share What I’m Into.
family photos with Jenna Maddux
I love this time of year,but October was a strange month. We knew our September would be crazy, but we thought October would be calmer–and it was anything but. It started with houseguests (yay!) but after that it was one thing after another. Some good, some bad, all crazy.
It was a good month, but I’m praying for a (much) calmer November.
what I’m reading
My currently reading pile–including books I’m actually in the middle of or intend to be really soon–is ridiculous.
I actually love this picture of my current stack because I can pinpoint exactly where I found out about every book in it. Want to see? This’ll be fun:
Raising An Emotionally Intelligent Child: The Heart of Parenting: therapist’s recommendation.
Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them: recommended by Shauna Niequist at the Influence Conference.
The Spark: A Mother’s Story of Nurturing, Genius, and Autism: recommended by several of you in the comments on this post.
Wonder Women: Sex, Power, and the Quest for Perfection: recommended by Katie in the comments on this post.
We did finally see The Great Gatsby. (I loved 80% of it. The remaining 20% was comprised of odd plot devices, questionable interpretation, or plot deviations I could have done without.) And I’m keeping up with Downton Abbey season 4. It’s up and down, but I’m very curious where they’re heading with the key characters after last week’s episode.
in my (paleo) kitchen
My husband spotted a picture of this somewhere and wanted to try it at home … so we did. I have no idea what the actual recipe was, but I put some salt and pepper (and a few squirts of sriracha) into the hollow of a pitted avocado half and baked for about 12 minutes at 400 degrees. Paleo perfection. If you’re in a hurry, finish them under the broiler.
(When I made it again the next day because it was that good, I enlarged the hollow by scooping out a tablespoon or so of avocado from each half, so the egg wouldn’t spill over. I recommend this method.)
I’m on Day 22 of my Whole 30, and it’s going just fine. I’ve made three batches of this standby, tried a few new recipes from Well Fed 2 (including this yummy chicken patties recipe that’s available free online), and last night I made vegetables that every child asked for seconds of–and it was cabbage! MIRACLE.
my thoughts exactly (above)
I’m swooning over this IKEA hack
Because when it comes to drawing, I need all the help I can get. (Plus, Paris.)
The goal is to marry Mr. Darcy. Obviously.
I’m with Andy Warhol: I like boring things.
Good for a laugh.
Best of the web
Do you like identifying your favorite? I don’t.
What’s holding you back from your creative potential? You don’t work nearly hard enough.
This is the only version of Pride and Prejudice you need to read. (Also: I want those dolls.)
I resonated with these thoughts about taking the day off, and also consider my reading to be “work,” in the best sense.
Did you know we’re more creative when we’re tired? I didn’t.
Pulp the classics: these retro/classic book editions look fun.
What about you? What are you into this month?
This post contains my affiliate links. Thanks for supporting MMD!