My favorite finds from around the web:
• 56 delightful Victorian slang terms you should be using. My favorites: butter upon bacon, fifteen puzzle, enthuzimuzzy.
• Spoofs of high fashion ads. Some of the spoofs are actually pretty attractive, but others … you’ll see what I mean.
• 24 American behaviors considered rude in other countries. Because forewarned is forearmed.
• I followed my mom around Costco and this is what I learned. A good read if you’re a Costco customer. I picked up a few tips.
• Why NASA helped Ridley Scott create The Martian film. “If you want to understand why it is that NASA loves The Martian and is so gung ho for this movie, you have to realize that this movie more or less presents exactly their future vision, minus all the drama.”
What I’m reading:
• Flash: The Homeless Donkey Who Taught Me about Life, Faith, and Second Chances by Rachel Anne Ridge. This is a pet memoir, about a donkey. Really. (I’m enjoying it.)
• The Secret History by Donna Tartt. I just started this one. It’s almost 600 pages: if you have opinions, hit me with them!
• Being Mortal by Atul Gawande. You were right: this is a great book. I’m on page 55 and reading it slowly.
On the blog:
• One year ago: Being the boss lady. “Being the boss doesn’t come naturally to me. I’m not even good at being my own boss some days. (Honestly, I’m kind of hard to manage: I fly by the seat of my pants, dread decisions of any sort, and don’t cut myself enough slack.)”
• Two years ago: Crazy talk. “It wasn’t time to make the decisions or hammer out the details; it was time to talk a little crazy. And we should do it more often.”
• Three years ago: The five rules that shape every post I write.
• Four years ago: The best book you’ve never heard of on making marriage work.
Have a great weekend!