A few non-crucial things I’m enjoying these days:
1. Anything-you-have coconut curry soup. We have this Pinch of Yum recipe on repeat at my house. It’s super simple comfort food for cold nights, and the whole family loves it. (Also on repeat: Melissa Joulwan’s golden cauliflower soup. Lately I’ve been whipping up a double batch twice a week.)
2. Brown booties. My first shoe purchase in over a year, and also the first heels I’ve worn on a regular basis in years. I like ’em.
3. This interview with Kate Beckinsale. It’s so good, and surprising, and would you believe I still haven’t seen Love & Friendship? The actress says everyone should watch it twice. (Psst—I linked to the paid video so you could read the intro, but I listen to the free audio podcast.)
4. The West Wing. Will and I have been completely absorbed by this old tv series the past few months. We keep joking that we need to finish the show so we can start getting stuff done again, but it’s only half in jest! As I type this, we have 154 episodes down, 2 to go. (We are of course pairing this with The West Wing Weekly.)
5. Grapefruit. File under cheap thrills: winter fruits for 20 cents each.
7. The podcast! I didn’t set out to make January a killer month for What Should I Read Next but it’s sure working out that way! This week’s episode is with my husband—an interview I’ve wanted to do since the show began. Last week’s with Melissa Joulwan was fantastic. (I mean, she owns 19 copies of Jane Eyre. 19!! ) Next week we’re having a special anniversary episode about what I should read next. And later this month we’re sharing interviews with a bunch of different readers about how they track their reading.
(To stay tuned to What Should I Read Next news, sign up here.)
8. Decaf coffee. When I said in the newsletter that decaf was something that did NOT work for me in 2016, you all responded with so many amazing decaf suggestions! I’m compiling them and making it my mission to try as many as possible in 2017. But before I even wrote about it, Will found a subscription box that has a decaf option and gave me a membership for Christmas. (It’s MistoBox; save $10 with the code 2PAL.) My local coffee is good, but I’ve so enjoyed being able to try new-to-me decaf again.
Have you found anything you’re especially loving lately? I’d love to hear about it in comments.