If you’re a longtime listener, you’ve heard from today's guest Donna Hetchler before—she hopped on episode 64 and chatted with me about how she tracks what she reads, in our special episode devoted to how 15 WSIRN listeners track their books. As you’ll hear, Donna asked for my help with a little personal project she was putting together...
Today Donna and I dive into her plans for a very special trip she’s taking. It involves the road, a milestone birthday, and a whole bunch of independent bookstores. Donna’s bumped into a fair number of bookworm problems in the planning, and I think you’ll be commiserating with her as she tells you about them.
Donna also had a special request when it came to helping her choose what to read next. I was afraid choosing good books that met her criteria might be impossible, but we work it out—and I am very surprised by her reaction to some of my picks!
I can’t wait for you to hear from Donna for yourself, so let’s get started.
Check out Donna's blog, I Am Your Rabbit, where she chats about entertainment, personal finance, health, and wellness.
Connect with Anne:
Books mentioned in this episode:
• Nancy Drew series, by Carolyn Keene
• Author Agatha Christie
• Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, by Barbara Kingsolver
• The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver
• Author Kate Atkinson
• Author Erik Larson
• Author Stephen King
• Emma, by Jane Austen
• Mansfield Park, by Jane Austen
• Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen
• Persuasion, by Jane Austen
• Pride & Prejudice, by Jane Austen
• Jane Austen: The Complete Works (Penguin Classic Hardcovers)
• Brideshead Revisited, by Evelyn Waugh
• Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll
• The Wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum
• Charlotte Webb, by E.B. White
• The Old Man and the Sea, by Ernest Hemingway
• The Lost Book of the Grail, by Charlie Lovett
• Author Ernest Hemingway
• Middlemarch, by George Eliot
• Life After Life, by Kate Atkinson
• A Room With a View, by E.M Forster
• The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien
• How to Read Literature Like a Professor, by Thomas Foster
• Going After Cacciato, by Tim O'Brien
Thanks to this week's sponsors:
Happy Socks is the world’s favorite choice for colorful socks and underwear. Each unique design helps people to express their personality through high quality products.
For a limited time, WSIRN listeners can visit happysocks.com/readnext and use the promo code READNEXT for a 30% discount and free shipping!
LeTote is a fashion subscription box that sends brand name clothing and accessories right to your door for one low monthly fee. Go to Letote.com and get started for as little as $39 as month. Get 50% of your first month when you enter the promo code READNEXT at checkout.
StoryWorth safeguards your narratives so that future generations can enjoy them, and brings families together as they get to know each other better. Simply purchase a subscription for someone you love, and each week, StoryWorth sends them an email with a question about their life. They reply with their story, either via phone or email, then, after a year, their stories are bound into a beautiful keepsake book. All stories are private, and only shared with family that you choose. It’s a great way to bridge geographic distance between families, or simply learn more about your relatives.
Plus, it makes the perfect gift for Father’s Day. For $20 off your StoryWorth subscription, just visit Storyworth.com/readnext.
What do YOU think Donna should read next? Let us know in the comments!