Happy Tuesday! Your weekly dose of literary matchmaking has arrived, with this new episode of What Should I Read Next!
Today I'm thrilled to introduce you to my kindred bookish internet spirit Annie Jones. Annie is an indie bookstore owner in Thomasville, Georgia. In this episode we talk about her crazy unlikely path to bookstore ownership, her love of dysfunctional family literature, and how meeting readers and authors in person changes the way you experience a book. I'm guessing you'll also be happy to hear that unlike lots of guests, Annie has LOTS of books she doesn't like.
Are you in Georgia (or looking to take a road trip)? Check out Annie's gorgeous shop in Thomasville, The Bookshelf. If you're not local, you can still keep up with The Bookshelf on Instagram, and through their podcast From The Front Porch. Connect with Annie on her website and personal Instagram.
Books discussed in this episode:
• Crossing To Safety, by Wallace Stegner
• Wild, by Cheryl Strayed
• The Hamster Princess, by Ursula Vernon
• The Popularity Papers, by Amy Ignatow
• The Mighty Odds, by Amy Ignatow
• The Martian, by Andy Weir
• The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin
• Everyone Brave is Forgiven, by Chris Cleave
• Station Eleven, by Emily St. John Mandel
• Sons & Daughters of Ease & Plenty, by Ramona Ausubel
• The Mothers, by Britt Bennett
• Commonwealth, by Ann Patchett
• Walt, by Russell Wangersky
• Year of Living Danishly, by Helen Russell
• You’ll Grow Out Of It, by Jessi Klein
• Love Warrior, by Glennon Doyle Melton
• Walking On Water: Reflections on Faith and Art, by Madeleine L’Engle
• Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain
• Swing Time, by Zadie Smith
• My Brilliant Friend, by Elena Ferrante
• The After-Party, by Anton DiSclafani
• What We Keep, by Elizabeth Berg
• The Children, by Ann Leary
• This Is Where I Leave You, by Jonathan Tropper
• Annie's bookstore podcast From the Front Porch
Try ThirdLove’s best-selling 24/7 T-shirt bra for FREE for 30 days, just cover shipping! Start your trial now.
LoveTheWild is a deliciously sustainable fish company with a wild side. Visit the site, look for the podcast callout, and enter the code READNEXT to save $5 on your purchase.
FabFitFun is a subscription box with premium, full-size fashion, beauty, fitness and lifestyle products. The box comes out once each season, and retails for $49.99 but always has a value over $200. What Should I Read Next listeners can use coupon code READNEXT to get $10 off their first box. Plus, if you refer a friend, you will get $15 off of your box and their friend will get $10 off their box. Subscribe at fabfitfun.com.
Know a dysfunctional literary family that Annie needs to read about? Shout the title out in the comments!