Just like with the Christmas stockings, I love filling my kids Easter baskets–but not when I feel like I’m throwing my money away on cheap, disposable crap they’ll forget about by Easter Monday.
I try to get my kids a good mix of essentials (spring/summer shoes, books, socks), seasonal items (garden gear, seeds, sidewalk chalk), and impractical fun (glow sticks).
I’ve learned through experience that I need to plan ahead, or we end up with nothing by Easter weekend, when Mama is too exhausted to put together four Easter baskets. I’m keeping my eyes out now for Target and dollar store specials, planning ahead and ordering shoes from Amazon and Zappos, and stealthily stockpiling the goods on a hidden basement shelf.
37 fun and useful Easter gift basket ideas that your kids will use after Easter Monday
1. The Jesus Storybook Bible. (Our favorite.)
2. Tomie de Paola books. (He has a series of great religious titles, and a few Easter books such as My First Easter board book (it’s a bargain book for $2.40 while supplies last) and Petook: An Easter Story.
3. Books about spring, love, and bunnies, such as The Easter Egg (Jan Brett), Guess How Much I Love You, The Parable of the Lily, and A Beatrix Potter Treasury.
4. Field guide to birds, trees, insects, mammals, or your state or region.
10. Gardening tools (pruners, trowels, shovels).
11. Garden gloves.
12. Garden clogs.
13. Seed packets.
14. Sidewalk chalk.
15. Jump rope.
17. Frisbee (our fave).
18. Chocolate bunny.
19. Bunny food.
20. Fair trade chocolate.
22. New shoes or sandals. This is a great time of year for new flip flops or Salt Water sandals. (Am I the only one who always got shoes for Easter growing up?)
23. Hairbows and headbands. (Try Gymboree’s sale section before you try to make them. They’re so cute and you can’t make them for the sale prices.)
24. Cute panties or boxers.
25. Cute socks.
26. Blank journals.
28. Pens. (Like individual Le Pens or Sharpies in pretty spring colors.)
33. Markers/crayons/colored pencils.
34. Washi tape. (I was shocked to spot this at my last visit to the dollar store.)
36. Post-it notes (especially the shapes).
37. Small craft kits from Kiwi Crate (or Kiwi Crate for Target).
Tell us your favorite Easter basket gift ideas in comments.