Spring fashion, inspired by classic literature.

I am a member of the Everywhere Society and Everywhere has provided me with compensation for this post about Macy’s. However, all thoughts and opinions expressed herein are my own.

Macys secret garden collage

My girls and I don’t do mother-daughter outings enough. With four kids, and busy weekends, it’s hard to carve out the time for the three of us to get away for a few years. I’m encouraged to see that it’s getting easier as they get older, and after our weekend experience, I’m newly inspired to do them more often.

Last Saturday, my girls and I headed out on a mother-daughter adventure: I brought them along with me to hit up the Secret Garden event at our local Macy’s.

macys-diy-table

The event (which takes its name from a favorite classic) put the spotlight on spring’s new fashions, with music, DIYs, sips, and sweets for added fun.

Sarah flower crown

I don’t like to shop, but my girls do–and they made it fun for me, too. We browsed the racks: my girls loved pointing out their favorite outfits to me. (Coral has been my favorite color since I was about Sarah’s age, and I was thrilled to see it’s everywhere this spring.)

Macy’s had several spring-themed DIY stations set up for the special event. We took our time making floral wreaths and matching bejeweled sunglasses, while servers circulated with drinks and sweets.

macys-Sarah-shades

(My girls have relished drinking out of those mini mason jars all week.)

macys-mason-jars

The children’s department had their own DIY garden craft table set up. The girls decorated lightning bug jars and spring baskets, which Macy’s employees packed full with fresh blooms for us to take with us.

macys-kids-crafts

A bartender from a local restaurant was mixing up mocktails, and my girls loved choosing their own fancy drink. (Rosemary infused lemonade for them, a cilantro-canteloupe spritzer for me.)

macys-mocktails

We haven’t done enough mother-daughter outings in the past, but we had a great time shopping together. It was our first girls’ outing to the mall, but it won’t be the last. They’re already asking me to take them back, and I’m brainstorming what else we can do on future mother-daughter adventures.

Do you do special outings with your kids? Share some ideas in comments!

Comments

When I was a little girl, my mother let me (my sister had her own day) miss a day of school each spring for a day downtown. We would ride the city bus (we had a car, but this was just a totally FUN anomaly for me) to a large downtown department store and shop for warm-weather clothing/swimsuits, etc. Then we would lunch at a diner or historic tea room. It was just grand to miss school, have a day with my mother all to myself and explore downtown which was like another world to my suburban surroundings. I loved it!

I haven’t done this with my daughter, but I plan to. So far, our one-on-one excursions have been a manicure, visit to Anthropolgie (which she at eight years old declares to be her favorite store – so many treats to the senses) and going to a tea room.

For my older, teen daughters (through marriage) we enjoy driving to a thriving, hip city center and shopping at the unique shops then enjoying lunch outside. We also ADORE going to the theatre – like a broadway show.

My boys are happy to walk by the lake, hike in the mountains, visit museums of old cars, old trains, old cabins. They are so easy to please, as long as we AVOID shopping!

It’s very hard to find time, but I never regret looking for special touch-points with activities catered to the special interests of any one or group of my five children.

What a fun outing!!
    My girls are little (4 and 2) so reading about these sorts of outings gives me much hope for the future. Right now our outings include playground time, hot chocolate dates and doing something on their level- often letting them pick a little something out or just taking the time to slow down.
    Family outside play together is big on the four year old’s list. =)

How fun! I just posted my Everywhere Society Macy’s event post today as well :) I love how Macy’s really invests in throwing great events! Plus, their clothes are so fab! Glad you had a good time with your girls.

4. SoCalLynn says

It gets even harder to stay connected once they get into high school and college. When my older daughter was working her way through college, we made a date every other week to have lunch together. Since there are lots of sushi restaurants in our area, we decided to eat our way through all the sushi places in town. It was fun and we got to spend that special time together!

What a super fun day. I also have four children, my oldest being the only girl, so you can bet that we try and escape as often as our crazy schedules allow. Sometimes it’s just a drive in the car and chatting up our day, other times, it’s a special shopping spree or night out at the ballet. I’m so glad you were able to take the time to do this with your sweet girls, they get to be almost 18 too fast, trust me on this ;-) Have a great weekend.

My mom often did mom-daughter dates with my sister and me (usually on the night that dad took the other girl out on a daddy-daughter date). We did lots of fun things, from museums, to movies, to dinner out…

But my absolute favorite was the year I was studying for the spelling bee, and we stayed in while she quizzed me on words and ordered huge Italian salads from the pizza take-out place. Something so decadent about ordering in a salad which we could have probably made at home. It felt girly, and still, to this day, a salad has never tasted that good.

I was thinking today about this summer and the whole “you only have 18 summers” thing! My daughter is 5 this summer and she is growing up so much. I want to take her on a day trip just us, some mommy-daughter bonding – she is my only daughter, my eldest, with two younger brothers. Anyone have suggestions on a day trip from Chattanooga that would be amazing for a 5-year-old girl? She is not into American Girl yet.