This is a very good time to be a Jane Austen fan, especially around the holidays: there are so many good Jane-inspired gifting options! Here are some of my favorites:
2. Pride and Prejudice 10th Anniversary Collector’s Set, $55.95 at Amazon.com. (Used copies from $29.99.) This 1995 version starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle is the best adaptation, and the set includes the excellent book The Making of Pride and Prejudice. (The book can be purchased separately for $15.64; used copies start at a penny!)
4. Jane Austen Action Figure, $17.99 from Amazon.com. For the serious fan with a whimsical sense of humor.
5. Death Comes to Pemberley is a brand-new release from British mystery novelist P. D. James, $15.57 at Amazon.com, 12.99 kindle edition. I don’t do fanfiction, because the little I’ve read has been terrible. But I was intrigued by the recent book review Mr. & Mrs. Darcy to the Rescue in the Wall Street Journal, and I’ll be giving this fanfiction a try. I’m sure many other Austen fans will enjoy doing the same.
7. For Austen moms: Little Miss Austen Pride & Prejudice board book, 9.99 at Amazon.com (and eligible for its ongoing 4-for-3 promotion). This counting-themed board book is for the younger set–and their parents who do the reading aloud to them.
8. A Jane Austen Education: How Six Novels Taught Me About Love, Friendship, and the Things That Really Matter by William Deresiewicz was just released last April, and it’s terrific. Highly recommended reading (and gifting) for any Austen fans. $16.21 at Amazon.com.
What’s your favorite Jane Austen-inspired gift?