Womanly Skill: Make Something Special out of Something Simple

Prepare yourself for something very dreadful:  I hate Date Night.

My husband and I love spending time together, but say the words “Date Night” and my blood pressure starts to rise.  We have small children, and navigating the logistics of  babysitters and bedtimes stresses me out.  I feel the pressure to make the evening perfect because of all the trouble I’ve put into it–and because we’re paying the sitter 10 bucks an hour!  Am I the only one who thinks Date Night is a high-pressure situation?

Sometimes we’ll have a party, or a concert–and then we’ll get the sitter.  But if what we really want is some quality time together, we love to eat in.  And we love to keep it really low-key.

Our favorite plan is take-out sushi, easy homemade spring rolls and something special to drink.

We put the kids to bed and set the table with candles and maybe flowers (I can get a lovely bouquet for the cost of one hour of babysitting!)  We can talk and enjoy our nibbles, stress-free.  And that works for me.

Your turn!  What do you enjoy on a night in?

-or-

What’s your dream date on the town?

Comments

We do the date night switcharoo with another couple. We get a date one week while they watch our kids, they get one the next week while we watch their kids. I have to admit, though, many times we like to just come home and hang out without having them around! We play games together and eat without interruption…just being together without the kids can be special, no matter what the activity when your babies are small!

I just found your site, and I love it!! I just added you to my RSS feed :)

We don’t have kids yet, but we still enjoy a night in as much as a night out! There’s something nice about being to pause the movie whenever you want, eat popcorn that you made yourself, and act goofy without getting dirty looks!

With four children and one on the way, date nights out are very rare indeed! We put the kids to bed every night at 8:00. My favorite date-night-in includes Thai take-out and Scrabble! (We keep an on-going tally of winnng games – currently he’s up by two:(
    Occasionally, I check out a BBC series from the library and we watch it on the monitor we have in our room. (We don’t have TV reception.)We’ve watched all the Dickens movies, Lark Rise to Candleford, Cranford, North and South, and most recently Downton Abby. On these nights, my children listen to an audio book in each of their rooms until they fall asleep. My husband usually brings up a tray of goodies like herbal tea fruit, and of course chocolate!

Saturday night date night is becoming a new tradition in this house. We put the kids to bed a half hour ealry (eight o’clock) and snuggle down to a movie night. We don’t have to worry about the kids, or being out too late. We talk, watch a movie, eat popcorn and have that alone time that brings us closer. Even though the kids are just upstairs reading quietly in their rooms, we are still able to make “date night” happen.

My husband and I have date night at home once a month. We don’t have to worry about babysitters since our kids are 13 and 17 but we have trouble making sure they are out of the house for the night. Good thing their mom has them every other week.

We just rent a movie, get takeout and make sure all phones are off. It’s relaxing and we look forward to them. I enjoy them more than the nights we go out together.

I ADORE the idea of a date night in — but my children are not easy to get to bed.

I’m tossing around the idea of a babysitting co-op with a few of my friends.

We also would much rather stay home than get a sitter! Unfortunately, our son likes to stay up late, so by the time we get him to bed we tend to stay up late to play–but it’s worth it.

One thing we like to do is play a game together. Our latest fun one is the Back to the Future game, which is both easy to play and different every time. We tried playing with our kindergartner, but he doesn’t read well enough to understand it clearly, so it’s an adult game for now.

I love date night. Sometimes we go out to dinner and a movie, but I love it when we stay home and I can cook something that the kids don’t love but that my husband does.